Monday, May 08, 2006

Preoccupied

I keep telling myself that I need to think about things other than this adoption, that I need to concentrate on other events going on in my life, being in the "present" and not constantly and endlessly contemplating the when, what, whys, and hows of this adoption.

That said, I find it is never far from my mind. Even in sleep, I find myself dreaming about paperwork and faceless children.

I remember that I was extremely preoccupied when I was pregnant with Gabriel, that there was little else I thought about or wanted to talk about.

I'm trying to throw myself into work, but, it's not easy.

So, I've been trying to distract myself with things like:

1. Trying to put pictures of our family, to this point, in photo albums. As I have mentioned before, I'm not very good at keeping up with this. And I feel like I will only get worse when I have two children whose lives I need to document in pictures!

2. I'm reading a book called, "Towing Jehovah". It's an interesting book, and it's keeping my attention, but, I'm not really sure if I like it very much. The premise of the story is that God is dead. Not figuratively, but, literally dead. So, a sea captain and a priest are contacted by the Archangels Rapheal and Gabriel, who set them off on a quest to tow the 2 mile long corpse of God to the Artic, where it can be preserved. Like I said, it's an odd novel.

3. I've just finished reading the new Margaret Atwood novel called "The Penelopiad". It tells the story of Odysseus from Penelope's point of view. It's short, but really well done, and it takes me back to freshman year in college, taking Greek Mythology and Literature, when I had a long discussion with Dr. Poliakoff about why on earth Penelope would wait around for 20 years for her unfaithful husband to come home.

4. I've watched all through Seasons 1-4 of Gilmore Girls and I am itching to borrow Season 5 from my friend M~.

5. As always, I am watching Law & Order, Cold Case Files, and half the shows on the Food Network...

6. Worrying about the fact that my house is pretty much a disaster with only one child living in it, how much worse is it going to get when there are two children living in it??

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

That book you're reading sounds really interesting. I'm totally going to look into it.
It's a good thing that you're trying to keep yourself occupied. I'm trying desperately to do that too, but it's not working too well!

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter