Wednesday, May 26, 2010

After Your Laughter Like Thunder*

I have been compulsively watching Chevy Chase movies during lunch lately. Old school Chevy Chase films. Foul Play. Seems Like Old Times. Vacation. Movies I hadn't watched in years.

(Thank you kindly to Netflix Instant Play for allowing me to indulge in a little Chevy at my desk over chicken salad....)

For several days, I couldn't put my finger on what was driving me to seek out zany physical comedy from the 70s and 80s during my lunch hour.

And then...oh...yeah. J~ loves Chevy Chase movies. Particularly the Vacation movies, most especially Christmas Vacation, which I haven't actually watched. (Not since Christmas.)

J~ spent a long time after the release of Christmas Vacation on a quest to find moose-head-shaped eggnog glasses like those used in the movie. He ended his quest in a small shop in FINLAND about ten years ago. He didn't find moose-shaped eggnog glasses, but he did find reindeer shaped liquor glasses, and he decided that was probably as close as he was going to come.

Every Christmas thereafter he drank eggnog out of a crystal reindeer head, saying things like, "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."**

I should stress that that was endearing...I suppose in a different sort of person it would be less endearing and more obnoxious. But it was endearing. It was endearing because J~ is an endearing sort of person...

Hospice keeps telling us he we leave us soon. He keeps breathing. And I, I guess, until the time for crying is upon me, will keep seeking out those things that will make me laugh.

* Sleep, Melissa Etheridge
** Clark Griswold to Cousin Eddie, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally don't get the Vacation movies. I try, but I just don't. But I know lots of people do. And I like Chevy's other stuff. There was something sweet in the humor, I don't know maybe that's nostagia talking, but I really love those 70's comedys too. And I'm glad you've found another way to connect with J and remember the happier times.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger teahouse said...

Hey, thanks for coming by my blog. I just found yours. You write really beautifully!

Sounds like you're going through a lot these days. Hang in there.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter