Saturday, January 08, 2011

Happy Familaversary to Us




Four years ago today, on a humid day in Da Nang, in a small government office near the South China Sea, Lana became our daughter.



Uncle Ho looking over us at the G & R ceremony

Bach Ho (aka Ho Chi Minh) observed the ceremony stoically.

There are probably lots of things I should say, about how that day was hard for all of us, most of all Lana, who lost everything she had ever known that day. About how the days that followed, the months that followed, were painful and difficult and frustrating, and that it was a long time before we felt like a normal family.

At the Temple of the Turtle

I'm not feeling particularly wordy or thoughtful this morning, though.

Right now, I am sitting in our living room, cuddled with our new cat, watching both of my children play a game together.

Last night we went out to dinner to celebrate, at one of those Benihana style teppanyaki restaurants. (Because nothing says 'commemorate an adoption from Vietnam' like dinner at a Korean owned Japanese restaurant.) (Yes, I'm making fun of myself.)

Today we are all going to see Tangled, and tomorrow we'll go ice-skating, and right now, in this moment, I don't feel like we're a normal family. But I do feel like we're a happy one.




LM

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! It makes me really happy to hear you talk about being happy.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Gravity said...

I remember that! I can't believe how much she's grown.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Happy counts for a lot. Especially since there is no such thing as "normal".

Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Yay yay yay! What a beautiful, happy family you have. Normal, shmormal - who has that?

Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Happy Familaversary!

Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Familaversary. And if you ask me, "normal" is highly over-rated. :)

Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

Happy Familaversay! And I'm not sure what exactly normal even is... I know we certainly don't fall in that category!

e

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Happy Familaversary!

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Familaversary. Love it. Happy happy!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She has grown so much! And, yes, happy is way more important than normal.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It occurs to me that happy being more important than "normal" is one of the major themes of the Harry Potter books (especially early on in the series, before the religious stuff becomes so blatantly obvious). Yes, I know, I'm a nerd.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter