Monday, August 28, 2006

It's Monday...ho hum...

Okay, I realize (based on the 250+ comments that have been left) probably 75% of the blogging adoption community has already seen this, but, if you haven't been over to the Salsa in China website today, GO! It's amazing and wonderful news. http://salsainchina.blogspot.com

Our weekend was okay. On Saturday we attended a Rainbow Kids event. Rainbow Kids is kind of like Families with Children from China, except that the families have adopted from all over - mostly Asia and South America. I did find it interesting that there were no Eastern European adoptive families in the group, but, we had a very nice time and chatted with some friends from our FCC group, and I also talked to some moms who had adopted their girls from Paraguay fourteen years ago. One of the girls came up to me and said, "Are you adopting?" and I said, 'Yes, we are adopting a little girl from Vietnam." And she said, in her very teenager-like way, "That is SO awesome. Like, so so awesome." And she gave me a big smile and then asked her mom if she could have another Coke.

I overheard her mom telling another mom that the daughter (the one from Paraguay) has been begging to be allowed to have a Quinsinata (sp?). I thought this 15th birthday tradition was limited to Mexico, but, perhaps it is a tradition widespread throughout South America? The mom thought it was because all her friends had huge bat-mitzvah parties last year, and she, not being Jewish, did not get to have one. Also, she said she has been watching way to much "My Super Sweet 16" on MTV. Which made everyone in the group shudder simutaneously. That show makes me cringe.

Other than that, it was a laid back weekend. Husband didn't feel well on Saturday, and Gabe spent the night at a friend's house. I watched two movies, one by myself on Saturday night, and one with Husband on Sunday. The first one, called Brick, was very well done, but, extremely distrurbing. It was a modern day film noir, kind of riffing on a 1940's feel, but, set in a modern high school. Murder, drugs, mysterious characters, interestingly crafted dialogue. Yet, the thing that kept crossing my mind was, "where are these kid's parents?"

The second movie I absolutely loved. LOVED. It was an obscure and stylistically interesting film that I think was released last year, but, it didn't play in our area. It was called "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", and it starred Robert Downy Jr. as a two bit thief, and Val Kilmer as a tough gay private eye. Okay, I know it sounds like an odd premise, but, it was really both funny and thrilling at the same time. It was a good mystery, with grammar jokes. I can't explain it. It just was really brilliant. But, lots of swearing (a lot) and one scene where Robert Downey Jr's finger gets cut off in a door...so, don't watch when the kids are awake.

In adoption news, I did get verification from our agency that our dossier is in Vietnam, as we speak. Hurray!

LM

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

I LOVED "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang"!! I thought both guys did a GREAT job! I have Brick on my netflix que....as soon as we're done with the second season of Carnivale.
If you haven't seen Carnivale, I think it would be up your alley. You're one of those open-minded Christian women who might find it very thought provoking.

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:45:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

I think my daughter will never be allowed to watch Mtv. It's so not what it was when we used to watch it, and even then it really wasn't the best influence.
Excellent news about your dossier... does this mean you are officially DTV? :-)

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I am so happy that your dossier is in Vietnam!! That is wonderful.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger LawMommy said...

I'm not sure if we are technically DTV, since the documents are still with our agency's staff in Vietnam, being translated. They should be submitted to the government officials when translation is done - my agency said about 10-12 days.

G

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter