Thursday, August 17, 2006

~SOB!~ My baby is starting first grade!

We had a letter in our mailbox today that was address to Gabe. The return address was the address of the elementary school where he will begin first grade A WEEK FROM TODAY. GASP. SOB. Yikes!

The letter was signed by his new teacher, a Mrs. VegetableName. (Obviously, she is not "VegetableName" but rather, her last name, which I am declining to disclose, is the name of a common vegetable.) This made me think of Mrs. BroccoliGuy at http://mrsbroccoliguy.blogspot.com, which made me laugh momentarily, before I threw myself on the couch and had a five minute sulk over the fact that I don't know this woman from Adam and as of next week she will be spending seven hours a day with my child! What if she won't help him tie his shoes?? What if he doesn't make any friends in his new school? What if he refuses to eat any of the food I send in his lunchbox? What if? What if? What if?

I think I am having more anxiety about this than I had about the first day I left him at the University daycare center when he was 11 weeks old. But, in truth at that time, I was sleepless, overwhelmed, exhausted, consumed by the depths of ppd, and was just going to the law school down the street, where I could conveniently run back to the center and nurse him if needed, and I had met and interviewed his caregivers. Also, Gabe wasn't really a whole person to me then. Which is not to say I wasn't invested in him, but, I didn't KNOW him the way I do know. With every fiber of my being.

So, I am little more freaked out about him starting public school than I was about him starting daycare. Which is probably crazy. But, you know, I never claimed to be rowing with both oars in the completely in the water....(Well, except for our homestudy, where I pretended to be, you know, the normalest Mrs. Normal in the capital of Normalville.)

I have to go read him some Harry Potter now, and possibly google Mrs. VegetableName and run her through the county and municipal criminal records . Because that is just that kind of crazy overprotective lawmommy I am.

LM

4 Comments:

Blogger Space Mom said...

Hang in there. I can hardly believe my little one, aka, my oldest is heading to PRE-K in September. She'll be the top of the food chain at daycare for 1 year...

Google Mrs. Broccoli (or Carrot or Brussel Spouts)

Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a public school teacher (and an adoptive parent want to be but waiting for my doctor's note)I have a bit of advice for you. First, many first graders don't eat their lunch. Feed him a great breakfast and pack lots of easy to manage snacks for any breaks he might have..baby carrots with dip, granola bar, muffin, favourite fruit. If he is hungry enough he will eat or he will eat it when he gets home. If he has been in daycare and is used to eating away from you this might be a non issue.
Second, call the school and ask if you can pop it for a quick meet and greet and tour of the classroom. The teacher is probably there setting up for the new year anyway and might appreciate meeting a new kid (one who is not coming from the kindergarten in the school). Teachers also worry about the unknown kids on the class list. Perhaps Gabe would like to make a picture or little card to deliver to her.

Friday, August 18, 2006 5:38:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I am there with you too. V starts on 9-5 and I just can't believe it. It hasn't hit me yet. I am still floating from the honeymoon/wedding. Miss you- ps I have your Body shop stuff. We need to get together. D

Friday, August 18, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

I love it that Gabe's teacher makes you think of me! LOL. First grade is a big change from K - my kids were pretty tired the first few weeks. But they loved it too. Worry not, he'll do great and so will you. :-)

Monday, August 21, 2006 8:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter