Wednesday, August 09, 2006

On my mind today - Hello Kitty Underpants and God's body

I was out doing some shopping last night. Actually, my whole family was out shopping. Husband and Gabriel met me after work for one of our favorite dinners out - the Pizza Hut Tuesday night dinner buffet. (We cannot do this very often, because it is really not very healthy to have all you can eat pizza and cinnamon bread sticks!) But, anyway, last night we went to Pizza Hut and then shopping, where we found some pants and things that Gabriel needs to start first grade, since he is growing like a weed, yet, not actually gaining a lot of weight, so, he looks like a stiff breeze could blow him over and all the pants he has are now "highwaters". (I swear I DO FEED HIM. Last night he had THREE PIECES OF PIZZA and three regular breadsticks and two cinnamon breadsticks. And fully a quarter of a cantaloupe for bedtime snack. So, no one can accuse me of not feeding him.) Anyway, we needed size 6 pants that had an adjustable waist (you know the kind, with the sort of elastic doo-hickey inside the waist, so the waist can be pulled smaller?)

Anyway, I have not bought many things for Lana, because...well, because I am afraid of jinxing this whole thing, if that makes sense. She has a closet and a dresser, and there are actually a lot of clothes for her, because of my friend B~ and my assistant S~, who have given me so many nice nice things their girls have outgrown. She should be in a 3T right now, based on her most recent height and weight info. But, I haven't purchased much, save the pajamas and shirts that I mentioned a few days ago. Last night, I found on super-triple clearance, the MOST ADORABLE BATHING SUIT, in a size 4T, with Strawberry Shortcake on it. Also, it had a little SKIRT. Like a bathing suit cover up. It was $6.60!! HOW COULD I NOT BUY IT??

Then, we were buying some new underpants for Gabe, and I made my way over to the little girls section. I thought Lana might like some Hello Kitty underpants. (I was assuming I should be able to find Hello Kitty underpants, because my only previous experience with girls underpants (aside from my own childhood during which I was I forced to wear those white briefs with yellow or pink flowers on them, as was every other little girl in the 1970s) was when we lived in Japan and I taught many many little girls, who, terrified of the tall blonde English teacher (me) would hold the tops of their dresses over their heads to hide, thus exposing their underpants, which were, 99% of the time, Hello Kitty or Hello Kitty's friends. (Incidently, Hello Kitty, in Japan, is called "Kiti-chan". If you ever, you know, NEED to know that kind of trivia.)

So, I was thinking I should buy some Hello Kitty panties, and then I didn't see any Hello Kitty panties available for purchase. And THEN, I started wondering if little girls in Vietnam even wear underpants. (Boy that phrase is probably going to cause a hundred hits to this site from perverts of all sorts!) I don't know...does anyone know about the undergarment habits of the Vietnamese?

So, that's mainly what is on my mind today. So, advice, please, on what kind of underpants my child will need. Keep in mind that she will be four in November.

Gabriel evidently has deeper things on his mind, since he woke me at 11:00 last night with the following question:

"After Jesus died, did his WHOLE SELF come back to life, or just his spirit?"

I said, so eloquently from being woken up, "Whu? What? What do you mean?"

"What happened to his BODY??" Gabe asks.

The temptation to tell him to go back to bed and call his grandma in the morning was strong. (What, after all, is the point of having a mother who is a minister if I cannot foist these questions off onto her??)

"Umm...His body came back to life, too." I said. "I think he took it with him to heaven when he left."

"What usually happens to bodies?" my child asks me. (I WAS ASLEEP!!! DID I MENTION THAT??)

"Our bodies stay here." I say, as I attempt to snuggle into my pillow and find my way back to sleep.

"Why?" he asks.

"Go...back...to...bed...and..we...will...discuss...this...tomorrow." I said.

At which point he did.

Our phone then rang at 5:05 AM. It was someone asking for "Debbie". I wanted to scream and yell and ask why the hell anyone would be looking for someone named Debbie at 5:05 AM!!* What kind of business could he possibly have with her at such an hour?!? But, I was too tired to throw a fit. But, I couldn't really fall asleep again, so, I'm tired today - too many sleep interuptions.

LM

*I suppose it is possible that he had a perfectly logical reason to be calling someone named Debbie at 5:05 AM. I once called my friend M~ at 3:45 AM to ask her if she had any nail polish remover in her suitcase. But, we were both catching a 6:00 AM international flight, so, calling her at that time of night made sense, since she was awake. So, maybe the misdialed Debbie was catching an early flight with this guy...who knows?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

You absolutely had to buy the bathing suit. No doubt about it.

Love the spiritual questions in the middle of the night. Sounds like something my kids would do to me. All things considered I think you answered him pretty well! LOL.

I think "Debbie" would have been annoyed to get at call at 5am too. Unless, you know, she did have a super early flight to catch. In which case she's probably wondering why he never called!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:57:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

That's so cute about the God question :-) Cute in a "it's someone else's child so it's cute" kind of way :-) My 4 year old is constantly asking me to define God's role as superhero. There aren't great answers for that one :) Maybe you could ask your Mom :P

One question - why oh why does one need nail polish remover on their way out the door to catch an international flight anyway?!! Hahaha

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a God question last week--5 1/2 yr old daughter asked "When Jesus was born in the seventies, what things didn't you have?" It took a minute to process that one.

The favorite underpants at my house are skivvydoodles.

(yes, I know it's a silly word)

http://www.oneofakindkid.com/skivvydoodles.html

(yes, I know they are moderately overpriced, particularly for little kid underwear that you'd just as soon throw out in case of big accidents)

But we still love them. The waistbands are covered and the elastic doesn't show, so they're not pinchy or pully.

We probably have an equal assortment of those and Tarjhay three packs of things like Hello Kitty, Strawberry Shortcake and, to my great dismay, Barbie princesses.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my 2 yo old was brought to me in 2002 in Hanoi she was not wearing anything but thin cotton pajamas stamped with the orphanage name. I quickly put her into Pullups :-).

I would guess that Lana may be used to wearing panties since she is in a foster family (rather than the center where panties would be a luxury) and is most likely potty trained by now. I would bring some with you unless you want to look around for some after you receive her.

H

Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'...white briefs with yellow or pink flowers on them...' Oh no sister, not this girl: HOLLY HOBBIE ALL THE WAY!

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter