Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sending another photo album to Lan





We are sending another photo album and some coloring books and colored pencils to Lan. All things that our "flat" which is the limitation our agency places on sending care packages to our children.

The photo album has the pictures from the first day of school and the baseball game, and also a couple more. I'll try to post them here.

I went out in the pouring rain on Monday night to drive to the Dollar Store at 8:35 PM in order to obtain Barbie labeling stickers, so, I could label our pictures with pink sparkly Barbie labels. I kept thinking, just my luck, I'll get into an accident and kill myself, and everyone will say, "what a shame, she went out in the rain, merely for Barbie stickers."

I'm actually kind of ambivalent about Barbie. I wasn't allowed to play with Barbie as a child, my parents felt she was detrimental to raising a daughter with a proper body image. I had some dolls called "Sunshine Family" instead. They lived in a VW Bus and had miniature Birkenstalks. No, I am not making that up. (See for yourself - you can still get them on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/4-SUNSHINE-FAMILY-DOLLS-FROM-MATTEL-INC_W0QQitemZ110025837283QQihZ001QQcategoryZ335QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

But, lately, I am so appalled by the Bratz dolls that I don't know if I find Barbie upsetting anymore. Is that nuts?

Work is crazy. What else is new, right? I'm evicting a 90 year old man and I have to say, I feel like a big pile of crap about it, and I sincerely hope that Legal Aid takes his case. And let me tell you, it's pretty sad when a lawyer tells you she actually hopes that Legal Aid shows up on the other side of something...

The pictures are me and Gabe reading "Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Gabe and Husband playing a game with magnets shaped like dinosaur parts while the big orange Tom cat watches, and Gabe loving on the small auxiliary cat.

LM

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

That "Sunshine Family" thing cracks me up. My mom got me mostly "Skipper" dolls because she wasn't all chesty like Barbie. Meanwhile my girls have like 15 Barbies... But I'm with you on the Bratz... hate them!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger saucygoat said...

I am so with you on the Bratz. When I saw them for the first time last year I ranted to my husband for weeks about how they have to be gone by the time our daughter will be interested. To this day I'm shocked at how slutty those dolls look.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I hate those Bratz dolls as well! Barbie seems pretty tame compared to them.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I can't stand the Bratz dolls (I don't even like typing it with a 'z' instead of an 's'). Those sunshine family ones had some pretty creepy eyes, but I love the whole laid back look. Too funny. I only liked Babrbie for the clothes. I started designing because I wanted to sew her more outfits.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had Sunshine family, too. How funny!!

Friday, September 01, 2006 9:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

LOL. I had the Sunshine family also! Thanks for the journey down memory lane....

Saturday, September 02, 2006 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter