Wednesday, May 30, 2007

McDreamy Motivation

I have always had a hard time finding motivation to exercise. For a while, I was exercising on our ellyptical trainer 4 to 6 times per week, and my motivation was solely weight loss, and, after six months passed and I had lost all of 3 pounds...it was no longer motivating for me. It wasn't doing what I wanted it to, so, why bother?

Okay, so, I know, excercise that doesn't result in weight loss is still important for overall health, blood pressure, etc. That wasn't enough motivation and I was just depressed as hell that I had spent so much time working out and I was no thinner.

In January, we got a treadmill in addition to our ellyptical trainer. It's a good treadmill because Husband runs something like 8 miles a day. Fast. (Have I mentioned this before? The man runs. The man is addicted to running. He runs and runs and runs and runs. And for years he kept telling me that it felt GOOD to run, and, mostly, the only thing I have ever felt while running is PAIN. And, in my book, PAIN does not FEEL GOOD. (Well, unless you are into that kind of thing.) (But, I'm really not.) (NOT that there's anything wrong with it if you are.) (So long as you're, you know, consenting adults and all that..) (I digress.)

Anyway, I think I have finally found the motivation I need to work out on the treadmill, and the motivation has a name, and its name is...

McDreamy.

AKA Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd.

Yes, yes, I know that the REST OF THE NATION discovered Grey's Anatomy two years ago, but, I have MISSED A LOT OF TV in the past 7 years. (See, there are choices one has to make when one is parenting a child who doesn't sleep a lot. And when it comes to choosing between prime time TV and enough sleep, I am pretty much going to choose sleep every time. The show airs at 10:00 PM, and I just cannot stay up until 11:00. And I miss a lot of 9:00 shows because I am putting the kids to bed. The only shows I have really kept up with in real time are Desperate Housewives (because one of the writers is an old friend of mine in real life) and Gilmore Girls (and I had to drive to my friend M~'s house to watch, because we don't get the CW on our DISH package.)

Anyway, for the past three weeks, I have been walking/running on the treadmill for 40 minutes about 3 or 4 times a week. My goal is to get up to 5 times per week. And the carrot I'm using to get myself on that machine is the opportunity to watch Grey's Anatomy. I have banned the Grey's Anatomy netflixed DVDs from any other TVs in the house, except the one parked in front of the treadmill. And it seems to be working. I actually WANT to go and work out. And, I am working up to running for part of those minutes. At the moment, I am only running (not fast, not gazelle-like as is Husband, but, actual real running none the less) for 8 minutes of the 40. But, in the grand scheme of things, that's like 40 minutes per week of RUNNING, which is 40 minutes more of running per week than I have ever done before. Plus, you know, the other 32 minutes per day of walking. It has to be good for something. It has to be making me healthier even if it's not going to make me THINNER. And I least I get to watch...sigh...Dr. McDreamy.

Here's my problem. Very shortly, I will come to the end of the available episodes of Grey's Anatomy, and THEN where will I be??

SO, my challenge to you is - name addictive television shows available on Netflix WITH English subtitles! (I need the sub-titles because I have low decible hearing loss to begin with, and, even without hearing loss, it is hard to hear all the dialogue over the noise of the treadmill - so, shows such as Veronica Mars (which only had subtitles on the DVDs for Season 1, cheap bastards at the CW) have to be ruled out. (Well, plus I've already watched all the episodes of VM. Twice. Such a good show. Anyway...) I was thinking of trying Boston Legal next, but, it only has captions in Spanish. :-(.

So, please, indulge me. What TV shows on DVD will keep me coming back to the treadmill?


LM

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it has subtitles or not but my husband and I got hooked on Lost last summer when we got the season's episodes from blockbuster.com. I'm just starting Grey's and I'm loving it. Now just to get a tredmill...I'll put that on my list.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Six Feet Under, Dawson's Creek, or Sex and the City?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:46:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

I LOVE serial TV! And for walking outside, I do the same things with audible.com books on "tape" (MP3). So, don't know if these have captions, but these have been some of my favorites: House, Nip/Tuck (not for the faint of heart (surgery scenes seem very gory to me), but very engrossing), 6 hours of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, Freaks and Geeks, the L Word, Prison Break. More?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I know for a fact that Sports Night has english subtities. This is one of my all time favorite shows. It's very witty, and despite the name, only maginally sports related.

This is a link to the netflix page:
http://tinyurl.com/3apbmr

Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Arrested Development is also fantastic.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:31:00 PM  
Blogger La Turista said...

L.O.S.T. Run! Get it!

Also, Arrested Development and the BBC version of The Office. Brilliant.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-24-
Not sure if it has subtitles though.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definately THE SHIELD. Five seasons are available. Best show on TV. It is outrageous!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

We're in the middle of Six Feet Under. But we've also done Dead Like Me, Lost, Carnivale, and a couple seasons of 24. We LOVE watching seasons on DVD. Let us know what one you pick!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, these have already been mentioned but LOST and 24 are soooo incredibly addictive. I'm embarrassed to admit just addicted I truly am.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:22:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

You've watched all the gilmores? And what about a DVR? With captions on?

I love Criminial Minds but not many episodes. Dawsons is a great watch!!! I have started watching the OC and some other show on the soap network. And Fraiser is one of my abfabs...speaking of which, Absolutely Fabulous is a great watch.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:04:00 PM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

Alias, baby. English subtitles throughout, plus Michael Vartan. Yum.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can try tapeing things too and playing them later on.

(Lucky you, my little 5 yr old insist we watch "Sponge Bob" - which I guess is better then "Ed, Ed & Eddie" or "Fairy God Parents". I am also maxed out on "That's So Raven". My little girl keeps insisting it's her turn and trying to get on)

I never watched "Everybody Loves Raymond" when it came on, but I enjoy that now or "Seinfeld". Some where on cabel one or the other is usualy on, so I watch that if I can. I don't mind reruns of those shows.

These are interesting
Americas Top Model
Top Chef
Project Runway
the hair cutting one, the decorating one...
"Biggest Loser" or "Celebrity Fit Club" are guilty pleasures.

"Lost" & "24" are great series
Most people like "Sex in the City"

Try only running during the commercials. The little fan on most treadmills isn't enough either. Try also using a regular fan too. I have the hearing problem so the TV is turned up turbo.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Arrested Development. That'd keep me running. Also I highly recommend Big Love. Like AD, it's loaded with sharp writing & is a really smart show.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look how many comments you got! Haha - we readers like tv!!! Good for you for finding motivation. I so don't.

I think you should invest in a DVR in the name of physical fitness. Then you can just tape what you like - hopefully something daily. Like Oprah or Dr. Phil. Gag. I know, but still.

Aside from that, I vote for Weeds (which is a really good Showtime series about a Mom whose husband up and dies and leaves her with the kids and no money and she becomes a suburban pot dealer :-P) and Big Love (HBO series about a polygomous family). Both are really good series.

Friday, June 01, 2007 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I know some people hated thirtysomething, but I really loved it, and it was great to watch in order--no clue if it has subtitles--

Monday, June 04, 2007 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger Emanual said...

I love Dawson's Creek - watched it beginning to end like 4 times. (blush). Everwood is also excellent. Really on of the best written shows ever. And Crossing Jordon is super entertaining.

Monday, June 04, 2007 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter