Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Guilt

I believe I am officially the worst adoptive mom of a Vietnamese child on the planet.

It totally slipped my mind that it was Autumn Moon Festival last weekend.

Did I take her to Ann Arbor for some festivities? No.

Did I even bother to LOOK at the moon with her? No.

I think I might officially suck in the area of "honoring birth culture".

It didn't occur to me until I was asked, this morning, by another attorney, who is also an adoptive parent, if I had taken Lana to the Autumn Moon Festival in Ann Arbor. (I should note that this attorney adopted DOMESTICALLY, so, the fact that HE knew about the Vietnamese holiday and I didn't makes it seem even worse.)

Sigh.

9 Comments:

Blogger LaLa said...

Awww.there is always next year. The Moon Festival was officially yesterday so do it tonight..the moon will still be nice and full!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:41:00 PM  
Blogger Django Sexton said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger saucygoat said...

It's okay. The day for it was only yesterday. You could always do it tonight. My family always moves the date we do Thanksgiving dinner; all that matters is that we're all together. Take her out tonight to spend some time gazing at the moon, and just spend some time as family.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was cloudy and rainy last night in the Toledo area - some places had thunderstorms. This is a great excuse to postpone some moon viewing.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, I was feeling like that last week because I thought I totally missed it.. but then I realized it's actually THIS week, so I'm trying to do something to acknowledge the day. I wish there were something locally to do with the VN community, I'm sure there was something, but I didn't hear about it. Hey, our kids weren't home this time last year... we're still getting the hang of all these VN holidays!! :-)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:26:00 PM  
Blogger kristin said...

there's a festival in plymouth this coming weekend... you didn't miss this one!

http://www.mamnon.org/

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:15:00 PM  
Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

We didn't do anything this year either. We were out of town. There's next year!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The moon's still full...CELEBRATE!

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger niobe said...

I think that tonight sounds like a good alternative. The moon really was spectacular last night -- I don't think I've ever seen it as bright -- and it will undoubtedly be the same tonight.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter