Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Poor Choice?

I'm home this morning with a certain tiny girl who is running a fever of 103.

And as she snuggles up next to me on the couch, she demands, "read me book, mommy" and she grabs a book off the coffee table - a book her big brother took out of his school library early last week.

And I am about halfway through it, when the following thought occurs to me:

Perhaps "Are You My Mother?" is a poor choice to read to a little girl who's had 3 mothers before her 5th birthday???

LM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some people have issues with that book, but I just love it. There's another book, "A Mother for Choco" that is sort of the adoption version of Are You My Mother that you might like better. And Little Miss Spider is always good too. :)

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

Oh, poor fever girl. But the beauty of them not reading is you can make the story whatever you want it to be, right? Matthew can always sneak a line or two in that just crack me right up...from Dr. Seuss's Alphabet book..."big E, little e, what begins with E? Enthusiastic editor, egregious ego, E, E, E."

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My aunt gave Tank Boy that book (and the stuffed dog) as a welcome home gift when we adopted him. I wasn't sure what I thought about it at first, but then I decided if I found some insensitive message in it rather than just take it for what it was I would be teaching my kids to devalue the intent of others and find offense where none was intended. So, I say, if you like it and Lana likes it, then read it!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter