Wednesday, March 12, 2008

If I was a hooker, a thousand dollars would be my price, all right*

I thought about calling this post, “ROXXXXXXXAAAAANNNE, you don’t have to sell your body to the night…or to the now-disgraced former-governer of the great state of New York” but, it didn’t fit very well into the title bar…

I also briefly considered trying to come up with some pithy play off Randy Travis’ “Three Wooden Crosses” (you know the one, with the Hooker, the Preacher, the Farmer and the Teacher, and all but one of them dies in a tragic bus crash in a song that really should be in the top 10 of “Most Depressing Songs of All Time”) – but, I couldn’t come up with anything catchy enough, although I did briefly bat around “Three Federal Wire-Taps” and something about a hooker, a governor, a blind politician and grieviously wronged wife…but, it wasn’t going anywhere.

So, I went with the Rolling Stones. You can’t go wrong with a Mick Jagger quote, right?

Anyhoo, up until about 36 hours ago, I had tremendous respect for Eliot Spitzer. Husband and I were burned, badly, in the Global Crossings scandal – and as share holders we were left with EIGHT CENTS of our investment. 8. CENTS. So, it was with blissful bitter cheer that I watched then-Attorney-General-of-NY Spitzer go after fraud on Wall Street.

But, there is probably nothing I hate more than HYPOCRISY. And that is the only word I can think of to describe the Spitzer Situation.

You know what I really want to know???

I want to know what kind of org@sm is worth $4300, the governorship of the State of New York and a decent shot at the Presidency of the United States of America? What kind? Because, seriously, I hope that was one mind-blowing climax.

Actually, I take that back. I kind of hope it was mediocre. Because, yeah, I HATE HYPOCRISY. (And, it kind of boggles my mind that the call-girl in question was making something like 5.4 times my going hourly rate. I thought lawyers were expensive, but, evidently we don’t hold a candle to the cost of a well-appointed whore. And I bet they don’t have to finish 7 years of higher education!)

I don’t even have a problem with prostitution, conceptually. I have argued, in the past, that it might be better for everyone if it was legalized, regulated, and taxed as a service.

But, as I mentioned just two posts ago, I do have a problem with adultery, and, oh, I don’t know, maybe SPENDING MONEY YOUR SPOUSE DOESN’T KNOW YOU ARE SPENDING? To the tune of EIGHTY-THOUSAND DOLLARS???

Oh, and let’s not forget BREAKING THE LAW. Breaking the LAW that one was CHARGED WITH ENFORCING.

Honestly, I am flummoxed. Why can’t politicians keep their pants in their own bedrooms? Why???

And why, for Pete’s sake, is Silda Spitzer standing in front of the nation, looking shell-shocked and mortified, right next to her husband? I mean, of all people who have been WRONGED by the actions of this one man, SHE IS THE PERSON he hurt the most. I am pretty sure that, in her shoes, I would be off contemplating which very sharp object I would use in the re-arranging the offending disgraced ex-governor’s manly bits, and not standing next to him to share in his very public humiliation.

When I was a graduate student in Sociology (a Master’s Degree I started and did not finish), I wrote a huge paper on the subject of Prostitutes and Sex Workers. I read several hundred interviews of prostitutes, and at the time I was dumbstruck by the fact that many of them said that their clients generally loved their wives, and felt that by having a "business transaction" with the hooker, they weren’t actually cheating on their wives because it was "only a business transaction" and not an affair. (It’s kind of amazing the kind of ridiculous illogic you can buy into if it feels good enough.) But I kept coming back to the fundamental question, which was, “Why aren’t they just having sex with their wives, then?”

I find this mind-boggling. I wish I could find a link to a study I ready once that said wives are more likely to forgive physical infidelity than emotional infidelity, and that the reverse was true of men. It’s kind of stunning, really, what people are capable of forgiving one another for. So, I suppose it’s possible that Mrs. Spitzer will forgive her husband for this. Maybe. (Although if they would like to get divorced in an adjoining state I would gladly give her my card…KIDDING!)

But, I don’t think that Eliot Spitzer, even if he is forgiven by those nearest and dearest to him, is going to find the public, who trusted him and cheered him on and believed that he was a guy who was truthful and honorable and not your average politician – is going to forgive that it turned out he was just as corrupt as the rest of them.

LM

*The Rolling Stones, "If I Was A Dancer"

6 Comments:

Blogger KG said...

This is random, but why do I have such a hard time spelling hypocricy?

Oh, and Spitzer is a big fat turd face!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I too find it hard to believe his wife would stand in public beside him. I hope she gets a good divorce attorney.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

I think his wife looked like she had just been hit by a truck (emotionally). She probably knew about his infidelities prior. I think she is trying to conjure up some small bit of dignity by standing there beside him or maybe she is doing it for the sake of their 3 daughters. You can tell how sad she is inside. Scum bag of a man.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father had whores. My mother knew- even though my father denied it. My mother wanted financial security because she lived in a world (Australia) where she couldn't be a flight attendant (air hostess) because she was over 25. She wasn't legally allowed to go back to her maiden name after her first divorce. She had to hide the fact that she had a child to get a job.

So with this wife, maybe it's a similar story of oppression.

Friday, March 14, 2008 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger niobe said...

Hey, I kinda like "Three Wooden Crosses."

As for the rest of the post, I (for once) am going to keep my mouth shut.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Anne K. said...

As a resident of the Great State of New York, I second your outrage on the hypocrisy of our (now-former) governor. Hypocrisy and hubris. I, too, had such great hopes for him in the beginning...

And as someone whose first husband was also a lying cheater, I was also deeply pained by the look on Silda's face during last week's press conferences. I would have preferred to see her standing back there with a calculator, figuring out her settlement in this whole debacle.

Rock on, Law Mommy.

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter