Monday, September 15, 2008

Always a Bridesmaid...

Somewhere lightening is striking twice.

When one is the oldest of six children, one has the obligation to stand up 5 times with one's siblings on their wedding day. Add in a few other close girlfriends, and I'm looking at being a bridesmaid for the 9th time this coming December, when my middle brother, and the only one of my siblings not currently married, gets hitched.

The bride is a size 2. My two sisters, and the bride's sister, also size 2s. Maybe 4s.

I think I have mentioned before like I look like a behemoth of a size 16, 5'7", next to my adorably petite sisters, over whom I tower, like, well, a tower. (They do tend to wear heels a lot more often than I do, though.)

(This makes sense, as my two petite sisters are genetically sisters, whereas I am not, genetically, tied to them.) (Don't try to think about that too long. It will make your head hurt.)

Moving on...

My brother J~ and his longtime fiance L~ have finally decided to tie the knot. They came to this decision rather abruptly and are getting married the first weekend in December, which meant that bridesmaid dresses had to be ordered immediately.

Here's where the whole lightening strikes twice thing comes in:

I received instructions from brother's fiance, that I would need to order a floor length satin gown in one of six styles, in the color, "Apple". (She wants everyone wearing the same color, but, different styles. Is this some kind of wedding trend?)

Guess what I have HANGING IN MY CLOSET in one of the acceptable styles?

A BRIDESMAID'S DRESS. IN APPLE.

Amazing? No?

Two summers ago one of my best college Girlfriends got married in July on a boat which left from Mackinac City and sailed to Mackinac Island and back. It was a beautiful wedding. For which I wore a floor length red satin gown.

Well, that gown is COMING OUT THE CLOSET AGAIN, MY FRIENDS. I have achieved the nearly unachievable ~ the Nirvana of bridesmaids everywhere.

YES. I AM WEARING IT AGAIN.

How 'bout them apples?

LM

(PS - Yes, I took it to the bridal shop to make sure the color was the same after 2 years. It is.)

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you on the skinny sister front. My youngest sis, who just had a baby three weeks ago, was complaining that she had to dig out her, "fat jeans". They're a size 8. She normally wears a 0 or 2, so I suppose to her an 8 is gigantic, but to this size 14, they're a dream!

Monday, September 15, 2008 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SOOO glad you can wear that again- Chris has re-used hers too! Looking forward to the 27th.

I have the ultr-skinny sister-in-law-- ugh-- I feel your pain.

Heather

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

um, do we get pictures, cause I am feeling that we need pictures...

Monday, September 15, 2008 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

That is friggin' amazing. Someone's looking out for you...you deserve at least this.

Monday, September 15, 2008 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Score! I agree with Jena, we need pictures.

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick, you must go buy a lottery ticket! Seriously, how lucky can a girl get?! Personally I hope never to be asked to be in a wedding ever ever again, it is so much more cost and work than it's worth. But for family... yeah, you have to. So awesome you don't have to shell out more $$ for a dress, now you can just relax and have fun! :)

Monday, September 15, 2008 4:05:00 PM  
Blogger Blonde Justice said...

Wow. That is an amazing feat! Good for you, rewearing that bridesmaid's dress!

Monday, September 15, 2008 7:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

That really is amazing. What a huge score. I hate buying bridesmaid dresses. What an enormous waste of money. I feel bad for making mine buy them now.

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

You are now my hero.

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

That is incredibly cool. There really should be some sort of "used bridesmaid dress inventory" that people could tap into.

I am feeling the whole dress size thing lately. How would you like to have been a size 4 for most of your life only to turn forty and gain 35 pounds. I think it's a combination of age and my thyroid topped off with a good dose of inactivity. It's depressing.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Anne K. said...

Oh, wow, that stroke of luck is almost too wonderful to be believed! Have fun being resplendent in apple green!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Terynn said...

One of the happiest bridesmaid stories I have ever heard. I doubt anyone can top it. How 'bout them Apples, indeed.

Love it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this kind of magic could only happen in your life G!!!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger StorkWatcher said...

Isn't it a triple whammy?? Not everyone could still fit into a fitted dress from 2 years ago! I think that calls for cause to celebrate heartily at the reception! Wow. And if you still have the shoes to wear with it that the bride approves of, you're golden (delicious).

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter