Saturday, September 06, 2008

I believe there is a time for meditation in cathedrals of our own*

I have been remiss in posting much of substance these day. I do apologize. There is a lot of political stuff on blogs right now, and I just don't have the emotional energy to talk about politics in a public forum very much right now. I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative, which means I don't fit in either party. I am moderate on gun rights. (I.e. I support the right to own guns. I don't support the right to own bazookas. I, in fact, enjoy shooting at things like clay pigeons and targets, but, I don't think people who've been convicted of violent crimes should be able to buy weapons. I don't feel that this position is radical in any way.) I want this war to end. (The War in Iraq was something we had no business starting.) I know that I am very lucky to live in relative economic security, such that the high gas prices are an annoyance to me rather than an actual hardship and I have (for the moment) very good health care benefits, but, I am concerned about sustainable energy and the future of health care in our country.

But, the things that are immediately pressing to me are more personal, and not political. J~ is still very sick. Things at work are tense, and I have been working a lot more hours than usual. My county recently made a local rule change at the courthouse that makes my Tuesdays extremely stressful. (It is way too technical and boring to describe, but, suffice it to say that it has added about 2 hours to my normal Tuesday work day, which means I'm going in early and not getting home until after 7:00 those days, and that sucks.)

Because of the things that have been making me so worried, I have needed to surround myself with those people who make me feel the most calm. We've spent a lot of time in our back yard, with our closest friends, swimming and lying in the sun and visiting and watching our children play.

On one particularly beautiful day, I went sailing with my girlfriend K~, which was especially lovely. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. (We also came in 2nd in the race we were participating in, even though we did get caught in 30 minutes of dead calm, which was not very high on the fun meter.)

Here are some photos of our day on Lake Erie.











* Billy Joel, Summer Highland Falls

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm so sorry about the continuing health struggles of J~ It is so wise to surround yourself with people that calm you. That race looks super fun! I had no idea you knew how to sail!!!

I'm also fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Why is it that people like us frequently get labeled as extreme left wing anyway?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

I think I share your political views, too, although I wouldn't mind if we had a no-guns-allowed law if it were actually enforcable across the board (which may be impossible). But to tell the truth, I'm not sure I really understand what "fiscally conservative" means when paired with "socially liberal," unless it's a comment on war spending, which I totally get. I'm not trying to be snarky there, I really think I don't get it.

Anyway, that's mostly irrelevant when real life goes on around us. I'm so sorry J's still in a bad place and things are tense. I hope your backyard gives you lots and lots of comfort.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sailing looks like fun!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're experiencing stress right now. I think it's a great idea to be surrounded by the people in your life who bring you calm. IMO, that's one of the better ways to deal with the hard times. I have somewhat similar political views and I most certainly don't fit squarely in either party. And regardless, I'm too high strung to get involved in any of the political discussions. So, I just enjoy reading them. Hope things get a little easier for you in the near future.

Monday, September 08, 2008 1:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter