Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Anyone who told me girls were easier than boys was totally lying!

Oh the drama! The epic emotion! The tyranny of the mood-swings of an almost-six-year-old girl!

Seriously, in my experience, a boy child is a WALK IN THE PARK by comparison.

Perhaps it is just MY boy child?

Gabriel started 3rd grade today. Kindergarten, despite being in the same school building, doesn't start until next Tuesday.

Suffice it to say that Lana is PISSED.

We had a mini meltdown last night, that nobody likes her, she doesn't have any friends, she doesn't know anybody in her kindergarten, why does Gabe get to start school today if she doesn't, and, the topper, "EVERYONE" thinks she is "STUPID". (I'm ticked because I think the little girl next door called her "stupid" because she didn't understand something. I have no idea how to deal with that, and it's ridiculous. Lana is, categorically, not stupid.)

She also demanded to know why she couldn't go to kindergarten with one of her friends from her pre-school. When I said, "she's going to Hebrew school and we aren't Jewish" - Lana insisted she could be Jewish if she wanted to be. (Then she demanded to know what Jewish was.)

Anyway, there have been tantrums and tears and gnashing of teeth and high-pitched screaming, and crying that no one likes her and everyone is mean to her.

I am really hoping kindergarten goes well next week. I want her to meet some new friends, I want her to have the kind of friendships she had at pre-school. (I think she has really been missing her pre-school buddies this summer.)

I just hope I can get through this weekend without throttling someone. Or myself.

I am terrified of what "12" is going to look like if "almost 6" is making an emotional wreck of both of us!

LM

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your Labor Day plans should fall through or something, you are always welcome to join us, and we could put our two 5-yo girls together and just let them bemoan the unfairness of their lives to each other. Mine has been giving me grief about wanting to go to "real" school because she wants to have recess! She seems to be under the impression that that is all they do at "real" school.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

I definitely think that it's YOUR boy that is easy....just because it's him and he seems like such a laid back kindda kid. But as far as the drama goes, I Kinhly is the SAME way. I think that "girls are easier" thing comes from 0-4. Anything after 4 is 100% d-r-a-m-a city. I can tell already that Lola is going to be different than Diesel was...I'm hoping that it's going to mean calmer!
Good luck with the drama...I'm not looking forward to 6!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Drama frequency has started to level off a bit at approaching eight for our oldest, though intensity is increasing. Seven is pretty much the same at six...lots of drama for odd-ball things.

I have no experience with boys of my own, but compared to my nephews I'm thinking perhaps you were mis-informed.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Several of my best friends from childhood are Jewish, and I was always asking my mom to let me go to Hebrew school with them. But I did get to go to a bunch of awesome bar and bat mitzvahs, so there's that.

And I have the best picture of Olive from our last vacation - she's in a gift shop holding up an incredibly tacky sign that says "Drama Queen." So I feel you, sister.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Who told you girls were easier?????

Maybe for potty training...Girls are MAJOR drama. If Bronte doesn't get something she wants, she will through herself to the floor crying "No Fair UGH". Phoebe storms away and slams doors when she's ticked off and although Helen is going through a nice calm stage right now with just occasional pouts, I assure you she has it in her as she was a crazy whiny crier girl only months prior. I am enjoying this little period of sanity with her.

My teenage boys were absolute sweethearts until my oldest hit 14.He's already coming around though at 16 and now the other is starting. err

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, that's my girls, to a "T"!! Well, K~ much more than R~, but even R~ can get in some real emotional snits. And if I say "you still need to clean your room" she'll overreact and say "I know, all the messes in the world are my fault." ... I swear I can't tell if this is a deep-seated emotional issue or her way of trying to get me to say "oh no, it's not big deal don't worry about it".
Girls are most definitely harder than boys!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

My almost 2 year old is major drama already..... We have a long road.

I love the I can be Jewish if I want to line.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:40:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

I think you SHOULD be scared, Gretchen, very scared, about 12. That smartie will beat you down right good and proper.

And Christina's "all the messes in the world are my fault" line made me laugh out loud, but not because it reminds me of Lucy -- becuase it reminds me of Matthew.

Friday, August 29, 2008 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

I know I never said that girls are easier than boys! It's not that they don't get upset, but when they do they're far more likely to go punch a brother and have done with it. Where as the girls...oh my. I'm constantly pointing out to one daughter or another that she is over-reacting to something (anything?). There just seems to be very little middle ground. Either they are all deliriously happy or wailing as if someone just killed their puppy.

Friday, August 29, 2008 7:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Who DARED lie to you and told you that boys were easier than girls! Drama Queen is a feminine term for a reason!

I truly hope that Lana has a good time at school and all goes well...for your sake! ha

Monday, September 01, 2008 7:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter