Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Still I'm On the Dark Side of the Moon*

My uncle J~ had his surgery on Thursday. He is stable and out of the ICU. I am hopeful for the best and fearful for the worst.

Two days before his surgery he was feeling well enough to come down to the office to take care of some things. We had lunch together and I told him I had to be in court at 1:30 and would talk to him after.

When I got back to the office he was gone.

Immediately after his surgery, late Thursday afternoon, I was sitting in Belle's office. (Belle is not her real name, but, it works for a good pseudonym for the only other female lawyer in my office.) Anyway, we had just gotten off the phone after learning that the surgery was over and had gone well, and I just started crying, I think from relief. Belle handed me a box of Kleenex and told me to just let it out. So, I cried and I said, "you know he left when I was in court? I didn't have a chance to say goodbye or anything."

She looked at me for a second and said, "He left while you were in court on purpose. He didn't think he was going to make it through today. He didn't want you to know that."

Ain't that a kick in the teeth.

However, the point is, he made it through. And he's fighting hard to get better. And that's what matters.

LM

*James Taylor, Carolina In My Mind (I find the only songs I want to hear right now, when I am worrying about J~, are the old comforting songs from my childhood - James Taylor, Carly Simon, and John Denver. Weird, huh?)

5 Comments:

Blogger mam said...

What a sweet man to be thinking of you even then. I'm glad the surgery is done and the recovery period has begun. Thinking of you...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad he made it through. Sounds like he'd probably remind me of my dad - always trying to protect those he loves. When my dad was diagnosed, he actually thought he'd be able to avoid telling me any specifics (like what stage), which of course I didn't put up with. Hope the surgery accomplished all the best possibilities and he can kick the C to the curb.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad he pulled through surgery, Gretchen. I hope that he recovers as quickly as possible. Your uncle sounds like a kind, considerate man.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:27:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank God. I quite fan of your blog, but I wanted to comment on this. My mother was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in May and I know what it is like to feel so helpless. He, like my mother, sounds strong and determined. That is more than 1/2 the battle.

Hang in there!

Colleen
mybloomingrose.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that surgery went well. And I'm praying for a full recovery. What a hard hard time it has been for him, and you, and everyone who loves him.

And you know, I have the same funny attachment to Carly Simon, James Taylor and John Denver songs (oh and the Carpenters too)? Actually, I often feel like crying when I hear those songs, they make me very meloncholy somehow.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter