Sunday, August 10, 2008

Empty Nest

Gabriel and Lana left town yesterday morning with my mom, my aunt, my brother, and my niece. They are on their way to Arkansas to celebrate my great-grandmother's 100th birthday. This will only be the 3rd time Gabe has met his great-great-grandma, and the first time for Lana.

I would have liked to have gone for the big bash, but, with the situation at work, I could not leave for a week.

I am curious what Lana will think of great-great-grandma. I am curious what Lana's great-great-grandmother will think of Lana.

My great-grandmother is the kind of woman, who, until just a few years ago, would kill a rattlesnake in her rose garden in the morning with the business end of a hoe, shuck a mountain of butter beans in the afternoon and then make a mess of fried catfish and hush puppies for dinner.

I am sure this whole trip will be ripe with new experiences for both Gabe and Lana.

I'm nervous because Lana has not been away from us for more than 2 nights since she came home 18 months ago. I did talk to her this afternoon and she sounded just fine.

I mean, they are traveling with a minister, a nurse practitioner, and an insurance agent. I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think they are probably in good hands.

So, Husband and I are going to enjoy the peace and quiet of an empty house. And the freedom to go to dinner and out to the movies without finding a sitter. :-)

LM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So part of me is thinking,"I'd die of worry if my children went that far away from me!" and the other part of my is thinking, "I am sooooo stinkin' jealous of you and your empty nest!!!"

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:17:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....have fun!

Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah,I bet the kids will have a lot of fun...it sounds like the making of a great Beverly Cleary novel or something. :-)

And I SO envy you the chance to go out without having to find a babysitter! Shoot, you don't even have to go out, you can have an adult conversation anytime you want, with no interruptions! I'm trying to imagine what a wonderful thing that would be...

Monday, August 11, 2008 10:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I would really miss Mattix if he went somewhere with my parents, but I'm not gonna lie. I have these really vivid fantasies wherein I'm alone in the house doing...nothing. Yup, it's quiet and I'm alone and I can read or sleep. I'm sorry you have to miss the party, but I hope you're able to enjoy a few quiet days with hubby.

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter