Friday, August 01, 2008

Ballet Shoes

So, show of hands of everyone else who was a big fan of Noel Streatfield's "Shoe" books when they were a little girl??

(Consider that this is me, standing, waving a big hand over my head.)

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVED the "Shoe" books.

The books were titled things like "Ballet Shoes" and "Theater Shoes" and "Dancing Shoes" and "Circus Shoes".

They were always about children in England overcoming some kind of difficulty and finding a career in the theater or some other kind of performing art.

I absolutely adored them. You can read about them here.

My favorite, (as it was of every OTHER 10-year-old bibliophile I knew in the 4th grade (okay, so that was 3 other girls, but, whatever)) was "Ballet Shoes", which is about 3 girls who are adopted by an eccentric old uncle who goes missing, and they struggle to keep the house in order while he is away for years, and they make money, somehow, by becoming ballerinas. (In terms of adoption literature, it was written in 1936 and probably is horrifyingly not-PC.)

I was excited when I saw that Emma Watson (Hermione for all my fellow Harry Potter devotees) was in a film version of Ballet Shoes for the BBC last year.

Because I am a freak (you must all know this about me by now), I sent an email asking BBC America if they would be airing the movie in the US, and they emailed back and said that, unfortunately, they would not be airing the film "to our American audience". But, they thanked me for my interest in all things British. And then they suggested that I toddle my pathetic self off to the kitchen to brew a pot of tea and do something productive since I clearly had to much time on my hands.

(Yeah, I'm just kidding about the last part.) (I mean, they DID thank me for my interest in the British Broadcast Corp, that part is true.)

But, I was delighted to see that the film IS being released on DVD in the US in September. See, you can even pre-order it from Amazon. And it will be available from Netflix, too.

So, come September, I suggest you grab your pre-teen daughters (or nieces, or the pre-teen girl still lurking inside yourselves), my fellow Shoe-book and Herminone loving bloggity-gal-pals, and settle in for a night with the BBC and the delightful Emma Watson.

(And no, the BBC is not even paying me for all the mad props I am giving them.)

LM

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it on Boxing Day last year and I thought it was delightful.

It is not 100% as per the book, the story is changed and of course compressed.

As long as you are OK with that, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Friday, August 01, 2008 7:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always happy to hear about another family friendly film I can add to my netflix queue. We watched the first part of The Railway Children tonight which is a masterpiece theater film but seems like BBC (so maybe they made it together?) and I'm sad because my older two complained they were *bored*... how can you be bored while watching a charming film about 3 Edwardian children having adventures by a railway station?! Sigh...darn MTV generation! (wait, that's my generation... but you know what I mean!)

Friday, August 01, 2008 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

I'm going to order this from Amazon. Thanks for the heads up!

Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger niobe said...

Omigosh. I hadn't thought about those books for years and years.

Monday, August 04, 2008 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Did you ever see You've Got Mail? Meg Ryan's character totally gives a shout-out to the "Shoes" books...and, they are amazing! Thanks for the info! -Emily
P.S.: I noticed your blog via "Lucy's" blog, via "Bella Jacks"... as a future attorney (I hope...if I can make it through school), and future mommy (home-grown if I can, and adoption for sure)- I adore your blog! Thanks for the hope/inspiration. I suppose it can be done, right?!

Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I was at the movies last night and saw a poster for a limited engagement of this very same movie. You might want to look into it where you live. I'm definitely going to take my daughter if/when it comes here.
Terri

Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter