Monday, July 14, 2008

An Open Letter to Idiot Radio DJs

Dear [Members of Idiotic and Annoying Radio Morning Show in Medium Sized Midwestern City],

I am not sure if you meant to come off as stupid, ignorant, mean, hurtful or spiteful this morning, when you said, "Well, Brad Pitt finally has a baby boy of his own, as Angelina Jolie gave birth to a set of twins, including the couple's first son of their own. The couple now has three adopted and three biological children."

However, it was rude, and hurtful, and I honestly wonder what you think he thinks of his other two sons?

Do you suppose that he thinks his other two sons are less than his own?

Do you, in your monumental ignorance, suppose that he loves them less than he loves he the baby boy who came to him this week?

I want to suggest to you, that it is possible, in fact likely, that his love for the two sons who came to him by way of adoption*, is in fact, no different from the love he has for the new, and peculiarly monikered, Knox.

I want to suggest to you that it is, in fact, not beyond the realm of possibility that he might even feel like his older boys MORE his "own" than this new baby (because he has been their daddy for quite a while now, and this new baby, well, is brand new, and they are just getting to know each other, and sometimes it takes a while, to feel connected to a new little baby in your life.)

I want to suggest to you, and I want you to hear me (though I know you won't), when I say that a child is not your "own" simply because it carries your DNA. I want to suggest to you that a child who is loved by you, who you hold and comfort and play with and laugh with, that a child who calls you "daddy" or "mommy" is your "own", not because of genetics, but because of love, and choices, and making a choice to love them, every day.

There are plenty of men who are genetically tied to children who they have not made their "own". It is offensive that you would choose to draw this obscene distinction about a man who chooses to love his children, all of them, regardless of how they came to him.

Brad Pitt doesn't need me to defend him. (Although, Brad, you know, if you're ever stuck for legal representation in the Midwest, feel free to call me.) But, I'm going to say this anyway, Radio DJ. What you said this morning was as idiotic and insensitive as the time you made fun of Sheryl Crow for "shaving her head". When she had cancer.

I know you probably don't think it's that serious. But it is. It makes you a douche-waffle.

Very truly yours,
Lawmommy

*I really don't understand how Brad Pitt adopted the three children without being married to Jolie, or what happened to the parenting rights of Billy Bob Thornton, who was married to Jolie at the time of the first adoption. However, that is not the point of this rant. The point of this rant is that it is generally presented in the media that Pitt is the adoptive father of all three of Jolie's adopted children, and I am assuming that is true.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no they didn't! "his own" ... excuse me whilst I puke. And y'know, everything you said too.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double wow! (Pitt and Crow). Ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

And I *think* Jolie and Thorton were still married when they started the paperwork for an adoption as I remember reading a story way back when about them going to the USCIS (then INS) for fingerprinting. But the marriage was ending, or had ended by the time she actually adopted Maddox. I'm pretty sure she adopted him as a single person. There was a lot of buzz back in 2001-02 over this.

Monday, July 14, 2008 12:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vomit. What is wrong with people?! Nice job with the letter. From what I understand, Jolie adopted all of the kids as a single woman and then Pitt readopted them in the states. And I remember seeing an interview with Thorton about Maddox's adoption, but I can't remember exaclty what he said. Whatever it was, Thorton is not his legal parent.

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I bet a lot of people are going to say very similar ignorant remarks about this. Makes me want to puke. Nice letter.

Monday, July 14, 2008 2:00:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy crap. I really hate shit like this. *blood boils*

Monday, July 14, 2008 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do think that Jolie/Pitt were secretly married at some point to make the whole adoption thing work. I don't know *how* they did it, but I bet they did.

Monday, July 14, 2008 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger JenandAsh said...

In many states, you don't need to be married to adopt as a couple. Califnornia is one of those states. This is the way most same-sex couples are able to adopt, as well as unmarried straight couples. It's not terribly uncommon.

Also, as far as I know, Jolie started the adoption process for Maddox with Thornton but finished it as a single parent, he was never Maddox's legal father.

The name Knox...apparently a Pitt family name.

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Amen sister!

People just don't know any better, or even care to know any better. I get these remarks all the time right in front of my children.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger KG said...

Right on. It always pisses me off when people imply that adopted children are somehow less of their parents' children because they don't share genetic material. Pisses me off to no end.

Oh - and in an unrelated note? I have a mega crush on both Brad AND Angelina.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter