Saturday, July 12, 2008

Random Thoughts about the Pacific Northwest and Family Vacation, in no particular order

1. Wow, it is beautiful in Washington and Oregon. Wow. Beautiful.


2. Why is it that EVERY PLACE we need to walk is UP a hill?


3. Sweet day in the morning, the traffic in Seattle is WRETCHED. Horrifying traffic. Seriously, how does anyone live here and not go postal from dealing with this traffic?


4. You can obtain pho and/or bubble tea almost anywhere in Seattle, which is awesome. And I can see how this would be considered a bonus for living here, but, it doesn't really entirely make up for the Nightmare of Traffic.


5. There is awesome music in Pacific Northwest. However, when you are traveling with young children on vacation, it is really just kind of depressing to know that you missed opportunity to see the Foo Fighters playing Portland and Pat Green playing Seattle in just two days time. (And yes I am aware that the Foo Fighters and Pat Green are musically dissimilar, but, I have maintained my musical schizophrenia from the beginning, so, just work with me in being depressed about not being able to see either one.) (I am also mildly sad that we missed Weird Al Yankovic who was playing near our house while we have been in Seattle, and I'm REALLY not sure what the says about me in light of the above. But, I kind of think of Weird Al as a comedian and not so much as a musician, because, come on, if nothing else, the man is FUNNY and he incorporates his humor with accordian music, and if that's not some kind of talent, I don't know what is.)


6. How is it possible that a city as progressive as Seattle has a limited public transportation system? Especially in light of the nightmare traffic situation.


7. Portland is a great city. Which is not to say that I don't think Seattle is great, but, I cannot really fathom LIVING in Seattle, but, Portland feels like a very livable city. It also has a public transportation system. (I am ALL ABOUT public transportation. At one point, I wanted to become a lobbyist for public transportation.) Additionally, Portland has a bookstore that takes up an ENTIRE CITY BLOCK. I could have spent an entire day in Powell's bookstore. Unfortunately, this is not an option when traveling with a 5 year old and an 8 year old.


8. Portland also has the lovely distinction of being home to both Nicole and M.A.M, and we were able to have a delightful get together. The kids played in a very cool fountain in the middle of Portland, and I think it is safe to say that Diesel, Kinhly, Lola, Lana, Lucy, and Gabriel all had a great time splashing around while, Nicole, M. and I chatted, and Husband explored Portland's farmer's market. (Well, okay, baby Lola was too little to splash around, but, she seemed to be very happy watching the other kids splash.) Then we all went back to Lucy's beautiful house (she is a very gracious host for an almost 2 year old, let me tell you), for pizza. It was a lovely time and I only regret that we didn't have more time to visit. Somewhere I have a really cute photo of Kinhly, Gabriel and Diesel drinking pop together, which I will try to post later this week.

9. The Seattle Aquarium is very cool, and the sea otters are so freaking adorable that you will try to plot a way to take one home with you. Undoubtedly, they would be difficult to take on a plane, though.

10. The Pacific Science Center is a lot of fun for kids. DO NOT, under any circumstances, EAT LUNCH THERE. Yikes, that was the worst meal we had all week. Happily, there are many kiosks with food not far from the Science Center, inside a building called "Seattle Center", including a place where you can get New Orleans style Beignets and also Shish Kabob (not New Orleans style, 'cause, you know, New Orleans is known for many delicious things, but, shish kabob is not one of them.) My point is, do not eat lunch at the Science Center because you will be unhappy and you might say something you will regret later.

Well, I'm just killing time until our flight leaves, happy Saturday everybody,

LM

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, should have told you about the science center food - the only thing good about it is that it is right there. But so much better to eat at the center house.

And in defense of all the taxpayers of Seattle, the reason why the traffic is wretched and the public transportation is SO lame is because TPTB have a habit of funneling money that was tagged for roads/etc into their own pockets or pet projects. And after watching that happen year after year, people just decide no way are they going to approve yet another tax hike. And thank you for reminding me of yet another reason I am glad to be in Virginia. :-)

ps. I am jealous that you got to hang out with Nicole and family. But then it's my own dumb fault cuz we only lived a few hours apart for years and yet I never made the trip. Stupid me!

Saturday, July 12, 2008 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

SODA, you midwesterner, soda! Not pop!

It was so great to see you. And maybe I forgot to tell you, but you also missed (as did I) an Elvis Costello show here last night. Oh, Elvis...I love you.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I didn't know you were going to be in Portland for the day!! Had I known I would have loved to have met up with you and your family...super bummed, but super happy that you all had such a great time in my back yard!

Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger A Voice of Sanity said...

3. Sweet day in the morning, the traffic in Seattle is WRETCHED. Horrifying traffic. Seriously, how does anyone live here and not go postal from dealing with this traffic?

I avoid the freeways at rush hour on my rare trips there. I'd rather stop at every corner on side streets than stop for ever.
But speaking of Seattle, did you get to Pike Place Market?

Monday, July 21, 2008 1:47:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

Where are those photos?! I found one or two on my camera that I still need to download. We had so much fun with you guys. I wish that it could have been a whole weekend. We could have found a sitter for the little ones and taken you and hubby out on the town. Portland is the food capital of the US according to the Food Network!!

Christina - you're so sweet! I hope that we still get to hook up some day!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter