Monday, June 30, 2008

And the lie is....

Number 4!

Kudos to Nicki and Christina, who smoked me out.

I have never broken any bones. My youngest sister, however, DID break her arm in 3 places when she was five, and she was in traction for 6 days. The rest of the story was a whopper.

As for the rest:

1. To the best of my knowledge, I really did sit next to Ja*ck Nic*klaus on a flight when I was 16, and I really did ask him if he golfed, for a living. (I suppose it's possible that the person was pulling my leg, but, considering I didn't have a clue who he was, at the time, that doesn't really make sense. Also, the guy LOOKED like Ja*ck Nic*klaus (believe me, I was shown pictures by my father and grandfather later when I told them the story.)

2. It's also true that I almost ran off and married a guy who became a Catholic Priest. (Our plan to run off and get married was spawned by his parents insane hatred of me, who they had only met one time for 10 minutes, and they threatened T~ with all kinds of crazy punishments for continuing to be with me. They were nuts. ) I was a freshman in college and T~ was a senior, we attended a small, incredibly conservative liberal arts college, which I left after my freshman year, for a variety of reasons, but, mostly because my heart was broken. Ten years to the day after the last time I saw T~, I found out about the priesthood. (I was strangely relieved to know that there was an actual REASON (aside from being Swedish) for his parents vitriolic hatred of me, even if the knowledge was ten years in coming. At least I could see that there wasn't something intrinsically wrong with ME - anyone who stood in the way of priesthood was wicked to them. Does it make sense that I find that comforting?) (I am not sure if becoming a priest was something that T~ really wanted or only what his parents wanted for him. If it wasn't what he wanted, I feel sad for him, but, honestly, happy for me. Things worked out well for me, as I'm quite sure if I had married T~ at 19, we would have been divorced by the time I was 25.)

3. Yes, Husband and I really did spend the six weeks immediately following our wedding working as camp counselors on a Boy Scout Ranch. We did this because we had been hired by the AEON*Amity Intercultural Corporation to work in Hitachi, Japan, and we were supposed to arrive in Japan at the end of August/beginning of September. We had left our apartment in Tucson at the end of May, and so our options were limited. We needed to make some money (we would only be paid once a month in Japan, so, we needed some money to live off of for about 3 weeks in a foreign country, and we needed to pay for our plane tickets to Japan (the company did eventually reimburse us for those, but, we had to pay for them upfront.) So, our solution was to return to the Ranch/Camp where we had worked the previous summer. We had a place to live, no expenses to speak of, and at the end of the summer, we had earned the money (just barely) that we needed to get to Japan. (It was stressful and not ideal, and, we did take an actual honeymoon about 18 months later.)

LM

5 Comments:

Blogger thecurryseven said...

I guessed 4, really, I just didn't post, really.

And, Tucson? When did you live in AZ...I grew up in Tempe.

Monday, June 30, 2008 1:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been curious how you ended up in Japan. Cool.

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger KG said...

At least your dude was heterosexual ... I've dated more guys than I care to think about who are now gay!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 7:24:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I dated a guy in high school that I just found out is now a priest... I broke up with him, he was upset about the break up that was the last I knew and then I just find out 12 years later he is now a priest.

Of coarse I will say that it's because of me he became one, because if he could not have me what's the point of dating other women!!!! ;)

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a huge crush on a guy in high school who later became a priest. I had no idea what happened to him, and one day a few years back he was part of a featured story in the newspaper. I about fell off my chair.

Friday, July 04, 2008 12:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter