Friday, July 18, 2008

Lighter Notes (because this girl needs to laugh)

Our receptionist buzzes my office. There is a light giggle in her tone, odd for our office these past few days.

"Line one is for you," [snicker].

"Law Mommy," I say in my best, 'I am a professional ball-buster' voice.

"Hi Mama!" Lana squeals. "Is Lana!"

"Hi sweetheart," I say, surprised she is calling me, all by herself. "Are you okay? Where's daddy."

"Yeah, mom, I okay. Daddy just starting his run on treadmill. But, I need to cancel our appointment today." [This comes out sounding like "I neeta canshel ow appertnent tuhday" but, I know what she's trying to say." (She has a speech impediment, but her vocabulary is impressive.)

"You need to cancel our appointment?" I ask, incredulously.

"Yeah, I just gonna stay home and swim in the pool with Daddy and Gabe? Kay? So, cancel our appointment."

Evidently, I was suppose to pencil in a meeting with my five-year-old, but, she's cancelled it, due to the fact that she'd rather swim. Go figure. What impresses me most is that she was able to find the listing for "mom's office" in the call log of our phone, and dial it. She's a pretty savvy cookie, that one.

_____________________________

It's come to this. I am taking hula-hoop tips from an 8-year-old girl. My latest obsession is my new weighted hula-hoop, which I can now keep going for 3 and half minutes straight. (I find that the song "Animals" by Nickelback is particularly good for background hula-hoop music. The beat is just right, or something.) Anyway, Lexi, our 8 year old neighbor, is the reigning hula-hoop queen of the neighborhood. Two nights ago, she walked the entire rectangle around our pool, including stepping up on to the diving board and jumping down, while keeping her hula hoop in motion around her waist. And she did it without breaking a sweat and with barely appearing to move her tiny body. I was so fascinated I thought about taking notes.

It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Her advice is not particularly helpful, though. "I just do it," she answers, when I ask her how she is doing it. Kids.

LM

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is SO cute. I wonder what the appointment would have entailed?

I was the hoola hoop champion of my 3rd grade gym class. It's all been downhill from there. Three and a half minutes sounds pretty impressive to me. Oh, and just so you know you're not alone...I walk to music and will adjust my treadmill speed so my steps are in stride with the tempo.

Friday, July 18, 2008 2:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwa ha ha ha ha! My almost 11-year-old daughter barely knows how to dial the phone, and won't even answer it if it rings while I'm in the bathroom or something.

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha - so sweet! That must have put a smile on your face!

Dalton does the hoop the same way and I just can't understand the physics of how the moves but the boy does not. What keeps it in motion? I can't get that thing to even make a double 360 around my waist. I'll stick to wii hulahoop! haha

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I am totally cracking up about the appointment. I am with Rachel, I wonder what was going to be discussed at the appointment. Funny girl.

I am impressed that you can keep the hula hoop going for 3.5 minutes. Sounds like a long time to me.

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger KG said...

Despite my freakishly large arse and hips in comparison to my waist, I have never EVER been able to hula hoop. I'm way jealous.

Also - your daughter sounds like lots of fun!

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

Lana just cracks me up! And I am constantly amazed at the similarities between Lana and TM...we can add ridiculously bright to the motocycle and speed mania.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

I will testify to the fact that Lana is SSOOO adorable and has a very impressive vocab. Isn't it a wonder where they get their ideas from?!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter