Monday, August 18, 2008

When did I do THAT?

My babies are back.

They got home yesterday afternoon after a whirlwind visit to Nashville, Memphis, and various parts of Arkansas, and attending a 100th birthday party for their great-great-grandma. They had a good time but were happy to come home.

A funny anecdote from Lana's first meeting with my great-grandma.

(Scene - great-grandma's kitchen)

Lana and Gabriel and their cousin T~ run into the house.

Great-grandma says, "Hey, I know you all! I gotta picture of you all right here on my fridge! Here's my Yankee great-great-grandbabies!" (This is to distinguish them from the rest of her great-great-grandchildren in various parts of Arkansas and Louisiana.)

Gabe and Lana and T~ are playing in Great-Grandma's family room for about 10 minutes. Great-grandma leans into my mother and whispers, conspiratorially, "Do you think her daddy mighta been an Oriental man?"

My mother looks at her in surprise and says, "Yes, Grandma, I'm sure her daddy was an Asian man."

Great-grandma says, "Uh-huh."

Forty-five minutes pass, during which my great-grandma visits with my mom and brother and watches the kids playing.

Out of the blue, great-grandma whispers, conspiratorially, again, to my mother and brother "I just don't Wart (her unlovely nickname for me since I was a very skinny, sickly looking baby) in that child at'all. I just don't see a lick of Wart in that girl."

My mother looks at her in shock and says, "Grandma! She's adopted! They went to Vietnam last year to bring her home!"

Great-grandma nods with sudden comprehension. "Oh! Well! That'll do it. That'll do it."

From this exchange, I can only conclude that my great-grandma has spent the last 18 months looking at pictures of Gabe and Lana and believing I had a tawdry affair with an Asian man....

LM

10 Comments:

Blogger KelleyO said...

That's awesome! Wart the hussy!

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

That is funny...glad your reputation is back in tact :)

Come over and see my big NEWS , speaking of VN

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, too funny!

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that is hysterical. Great-grandma really knows how to liven up a visit!!

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:21:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

You made me laugh out loud...considering the day I'm having, that's no small feat. I think your grandma was VERY tactful, considering how she saw the circumstances. :-)

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:08:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Love it!!!!

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

HILARIOUS! Made me laugh too!

~Michelle

ps~ did she forget about David?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bwahahah - that's one for the baby books! ha!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! That is hilarious. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite misunderstanding yet. Great grandma thinking you're a wh*ore is WAY beter than a stranger thinking it, right?!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:51:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

HILARIOUS!!!!!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter