Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dear Anonymous Commenter

Last night I got an anonymous comment on a post that I wrote almost 2 years ago.

I will admit that I was in a BAD mood when I wrote the post, and most of you who commented on my bad mood (at the time that I wrote it) were supportive of me feeling tired and frustrated.

The post is about First Grade Homework, and, if you are so inclined, you can go look at it: here

What I find surprising is that I have gotten some ugly comments in the past 6 months on that particular post.

The most recent comment is:

Anonymous said...
Apparently, you do not have an elementary education background.


REALLY??? What GAVE YOU THE FIRST CLUE? Could it be, MAYBE, that the blog is TITLED adventures of law mommy? Or the fact that I blog, pretty extensively on occasion, about the fact that I am A LAWYER?

I DO realize that I was in a lousy mood when I wrote that piece, and I was probably too harsh. And the comment that I don't have an elementary education background is pretty innocuous.

More upsetting is this comment that was left last month(it was long, so, I pulled out certain parts):

...Personally, 8:30 is way too late for a 6 year old to be doing homework anyway. I also agree that they need to be involved in extra-curricular activities but not at the expense of the most important thing- education. Did you sit and have your child read with to, with, or by you that evening? Probably not because it was too late by the time you finished all of your extra-curricular activities and your "veg" time in front of the tv. ...So sorry that your child's homework is interfering with your "busy" schedule. I bet your child's teacher's job interferes with his/her "family" schedule with all of the extra time and money your child's teacher spends on his/her classroom. Stop complaining and be part of the solution...not part of the problem...

Now, I have to wonder if this person has ever read any other section of my blog. Like, perhaps, one of the many sections where I discuss the fact that I am MARRIED TO A TEACHER. Or the fact that I read to my children EVERY NIGHT. Or the fact that Gabriel loves to be read to. I have blogged about all of these things on more than one occasion.

Nor have I complained about homework very often - and HELLO! THIS IS MY BLOG. This is where I come to vent when I am frustrated. So, how is telling me to stop complaining helpful or appropriate?

And honestly, I would be happy to discuss my philosophy regarding my childrens' education with anyone. Even if they want to criticize or disagree. But, if you want to talk to me about my bad attitude about first grade homework, at least do me a solid and leave me an email address or a blog address. But, don't show up and leave a comment on a post that is two years old, insult me, and run away.

It seems to me that's maybe the kind of a thing a first grader might do.

LM

8 Comments:

Blogger KMPKC said...

You go girl! I loved your point about this being your blog, your chance to vent and share. Not only do I love your blog because I get to keep up with you and the kids, but because you are a great writer. Keep up the good work and if they weren't too chicken to leave their name, I'd tell pissy-pants to find another blog! Kiersten and Brynn

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Molly's Mom said...

I'm glad you're taking down the coward with this post, G. I have an elementary ed background and I still think the stuff that gets sent home is stupid...kids that age get waaaay too much homework. I think reading to them nightly and MAYBE having some light math homework is more than enough.

You go!

Friday, August 15, 2008 8:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNOW you & your kids...quite well. I also know how reading is a huge part of your family's daily living. Daily. Let's hope the injury isn't too grave when he/she falls off the sanctimonious, pious pedestal. God don't like ugly and he/she is just bein' ugly. You keep at it law mommy. H

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

I commented way back when...the 4th comment by anonymous. Well, 2 years brings about big changes in my gigantic urban Canadian Board of Education (but not alot of change in my adoption status unfortunately).

A new "homework policy" begins Sept. 2nd. I don't have the policy in front of me but the jist of it is no homework in the primary grades (pre k to grade 3), other than daily reading and game like activities that can be enjoyed by the whole family (to reinforce already taught skills). Introducing formally assigned homework in grade 4 and working up to no more than 1 hour per weekday in grades 6-8. 2 hour maximum in secondary school.

No homework whatsoever over holiday periods.

I'm all for it quite frankly. The board will also provide links to monthly calendars of appropriate family activities and related web learning sites.

I wish the families in my neighbourhood would send their kids out to play for 45 minutes in the evening...

Friday, August 15, 2008 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It's been quite awhile since I commented on your blog, but this brings me out of lurk-dom.

Kids should be kids plain and simple. That includes learning at school, running around like the KIDS they are, and LEARNING through that play. They will have their whole lives to be grown ups doing things they love and things they have to do, like it or not.

We are with a virtual academy and have the wonderful option to skip busy assignments like that. If one of the girls were truly interested in art at the moment I would encourage her to do it as part of our daily quiet time. Never would I require it unless it was a combo assignment for math/art or science/art.

Anyone reading your blog would "know" you a bit better than that. Using the anonynous option to hide is childish.

Hope all is well in your part of the state and that the kids get amazing teachers this year!

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Gretchen, I didn't have time to read the entire post but I do know one thing.

Anonymous= coward

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if you can't sign your name, I think it would be better left unsaid.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Holy crap. Since when do first graders get homework in the first place? That's ridiculous. And so is finger-pointing, name-calling, and anonymous commenting.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

O-M-G Gretchen...I'm SO sorry that someone is spending their time being a bitch to you. It looks like its' going around lately...Melissa got one today too.
I agree with Kiersten and Brynn...find a new blog to snark.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter