Friday, May 15, 2009

Now I'm A Seasick Sailor on a Ship of Noise*

I wrote a post from my phone last night and tried to send it, and it failed to post, so I will post that below.

I am home from the hospital, snuggled into the soft sheets in our guest bed. (The bed in Husband and my room is too tall for me to climb into at the moment.)

Do you want to know where an unfortunate place to watch a highly emotional medical drama is? Sitting in a hospital bed, that's where. OH, writer's of Grey's Anatomy, WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING to leave us hanging like that?

Oh, Shonda, Shonda, Shonda...you are a wicked woman.

Also, I need to share that as I was wheeled into the OR, hopped up Versed and who knows what else, I said, loudly, to the orderly who was wheeling me around, "this place looks NOTHING like the set from Grey's Anatomy", at which point the anesthesiologist said, "you need to breathe in some more of this, okay?" and that's the last thing I remember until I was waking up in the recovery room and somewhere a child was crying and I said, "I have to get up and get my daughter" and the nurse said, "I don't think so."

After the surgery, I had wicked, wicked nausea, and I was terrified that throwing up would hurt like a b***h, which has basically been the worst thing so far about this entire surgical experience.

Here is the post I wrote last night:

I am typing this on my phone from my hospital bed, so please excuse any typos.

The surgery went well. My broken uterus was successfully evicted, laproscopically, thank goodness.

The morphine pump coupled with a night filled with thunderstorms made for a weird, weird night. I was having some trouble with the oxygen levels in my blood (I think that was the problem), so I had a tube going into my nose delivering O2 and it was hurting me. It made it hard to sleep. (Also the morphine gave me the sensation of falling asleep and that hours and hours had passed, when, in fact, only a few minutes had passed. Anyone else have the experience with morphine?)

This morning, I had nausea, dizziness, and general feelings of wretchedness, coupled with chills and sweats. Big fun.

My doctor arrived and prescribed something magical, namely Zofran + Vicaden. Things have been looking up since then.

After I wrote that, I had even more nausea, and the doctor ordered even more Zofran for me. And I've been taking Motrin instead of Vicaden, because the narcotics just make me feel worse than the pain from the surgery does...

Oh well - two weeks of forced lying in bed are in front of me. Tell me, oh wise Internets - what should I read and/or watch?

LM


*Beck, Nausea

9 Comments:

Blogger Trying Traditional said...

Get some of Maeve Binchey's books, I have enjoyed most of them.
For TV-type watching, if you haven't watched Chuck I would highly suggest renting it. It is my favorite right now, even more so than the Office. Monk can be good or so-so.
Movies: I am not so good as I don't remember movie's very well.

Friday, May 15, 2009 8:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hooray for laproscopic! So glad you are already home and in your own cozy (guest) bed! Sorry about the really bad night's sleep and the super icky sick feelings though. Hope that is over and done with now. I remember feeling like that on morphine when I had surgery back in high school. Also remember saying some veeeery embarrassing things to the anesthesiologist. Those guys must hear a lot of very funny (and revealing!) stuff!

Get well fast! But while you're at it, enjoy being stuck in bed!!

Friday, May 15, 2009 8:11:00 PM  
Anonymous L. Conroy said...

The lower 02 levels in your blood is called desating. My son has HLHS and sats in the 70's.

Friday, May 15, 2009 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

I'm glad everything went well and that you're back home. As far as books...can you concentrate and want a huge book to get lost in? Try Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy. Or for something completely different, but just as diverting, EF Benson's Lucia series. I would start with Mapp and Lucia if you've never read them before and then go back to the beginning of the series. Or if you like mysteries, Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series, set in Egypt at the turn of the (last) century are a lot of fun.

Hope recovery goes quickly.

e

Friday, May 15, 2009 10:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

Yay for laproscopic surgery!!! I've been thinking about you and wanted to email all day, but this is the first chance I've had to sit in front of my computer. If you are looking for a fun read, I would suggest The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (yes, two Fs). It is the first in a series, so if you like it you will have enough reading to keep you going for a while. I haven't read any of the others yet, but I also haven't had two weeks of bed rest. I have no t.v. suggestion for you since my days are generally tuned in to Sid the Science Kid and Super Why, and my evenings are just tuned in to whatever is on so that my brain can decompress and I can fall asleep on the couch like a drunk, only to wake up an hour later to stumble up the stairs like a drunk to actually go to bed, which I fall into like a drunk. Geesh, imagine how bad it would be if I actually drank? Anyway, glad you are home and on the mend!

Friday, May 15, 2009 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

So glad that you are back in the comfort of your own home. Yeah. You have crossed my mind several times recently.

Friday, May 15, 2009 11:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophie Kinsella's (author of the Shopaholic Series) The Undomestic Goddess - about a lawyer who leaves her job and becomes a housekeeper. Maeve Binchey is great - not too fluffy. Stephanie Meyer's books are pretty good. I'm usually not into vampires or aliens, but I'd have to say the books were pretty good.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger mam said...

I'm with Elaine on the Jasper Fforde books; I've read them all and like them a lot.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

I'm glad everything went well! Now that I've worked my way through veronica mars, I veg out with bones. Feel better!

Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter