Tuesday, April 28, 2009

She Gathers Rain To Rinse Away All Her Guilt*

I had to be in court at 9:15 this morning.

As I was putting my kids on the bus at 8:45, the sky was gray.

When I arrived downtown at 9:10, the sky had opened up and a drenching rain was falling.

I couldn't find a parking spot anywhere close to the courthouse. (OF COURSE!)

Guess what I didn't have in my shiny, new, red car?

If you guessed a shiny, new, red umbrella - you would be right.

In fact, I didn't have ANY umbrella. Even the ratty, small, desperation umbrella with a kitten printed on it that I, uh, requisitioned one day a few years ago from the 'lost and found' at the sheriff's department. (In my defense, it started raining while I was AT the sheriff's department, and I was leaving to walk back to my office. One of the clerks told me to take the kitten umbrella from the 'lost and found' because it had been there for two years. Possibly because whoever purchased such a hideous umbrella in the first place was too embarrassed to come looking for it. I digress.)

It was warm this morning, so I also did not put on a coat.

As I started walking to the courthouse from the library (the closest parking spot I could find), the rain became even more torrential.

After a five minute walk, I arrived at the courthouse looking like a drowned rat.

No, I'm not exaggerating. A drowned rat. (The only saving grace was that I was wearing a red blouse this morning. I almost wore a white, sleeveless blouse. That would have been a DISASTER.)

I did what I needed to do, and twenty minutes later, I left the courthouse.

It was still raining. I became even more drowned-rat-like.

Arriving back at the library, I ducked into the Ladies Room, hoping to use the electric blower drier to get at least some of the water out of my hair.

There were three homeless ladies in there who had the same idea.

I left.

Still drenched.

Not my best day.

Here is my public service announcement for you: PUT AN UMBRELLA IN YOUR CAR.

That's all.

LM

*Collective Soul, She Gathers Rain

3 Comments:

Anonymous Elaine said...

Good PSA. I don't have an umbrella. Well, I probably do, but I have no idea where it is (a common happening since we moved). I *almost* bought myself a new one yesterday, but I decided I didn't want to spend that much money just because the umbrealla said "Twilight" on it.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ah man, that's a bummer. I did that once, too, but I only had to go to class. And I pretty much looked like a dried rat all of time, so the drowned rat look wasn't a big deal. You reminded me that my "emergency umbrella" is missing from my car and I need to replace it. I'm about 99% sure that the people at the car wash, um, "borrowed" it. Sorry about your very wet day!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger mam said...

Ha, sounds bad for you but amusing for me...I win! Even if you'd managed to find an umbrella, you would still be walking around in soggy shoes for the rest of the day, which is a feeling I despise. Glad you had the red shirt.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter