Friday, March 27, 2009

Where Have All the Skittles Gone??

I warned you I've got writer's block, right?

Bear with me while I whine about festively colored candy.

The Rite Aid by my house is supposed to have Fun Sized Bags of Skittles on sale this week for $0.99.

Not just a single bag (that would totally be a rip off for .99, but, a BAG of fun-sized bags of skittles. For .99. I KNOW. It's a good price.)

BUT, they never seem to actually HAVE the Skittles for sale. Fun size bags of Skittles are my kids FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE candy. (And also mine, barring dark chocolate.)

I was there on SUNDAY MORNING at 9:30, before they even had the sale stickers up (not because I am that insane for Fun Size bags of Skittles, but because I was at Rite Aid getting other things, and I noticed that their ad said they were on sale for .99.)

I wandered over the candy aisle (the store was EMPTY. EMPTY I tell you), and the store clerk was hanging the sale notice over a sad section of candy bin that had ONE (1!!) bag of fun-size packets of Skittles in the bin.

I grabbed the single bag. I asked the clerk, "Do you have more of these?"

He said, "No, actually, we don't."

I said, "you have ONE bag of the candy item that is supposed to be your special this week?"

"Um, yeah," said the clerk. I think he was about 17. And he actually LOOKED 17. (Not like on TV where all the boys who are supposed to be 17 look like they are about 26. This kid, looked like a kid.)

"Do you think you'll be getting some more?" I asked.

"Um...I don't know. And my manager isn't here right now? So...maybe you should try again later in the week."

"You know you didn't have these at Valentine's Day, either? I mean, you were supposed to have them at Valentine's Day, but you didn't ever have them. Ever. Not even on sale, I mean, you didn't have them. Maybe you should tell your manager."

Store clerk boy looks at me like I am a 'very troublesome customer' what with all the harping on the apparent Skittles shortage and pushes his glasses up his face a bit. "There's no rain checks, um, on those, so, I really think you should try later in the week."

"I'll do that, thanks."

Then I walked over to the register, and he followed me, because he was the only person in the store who was working. I think he was terrified I was going to go on and on and on about the Skittles some more, but I figured, he's just a 17-year-old kid, who is clearly not in charge of the merchandise ordering.

I do wonder, though, if this shortage of Skittles is limited to my neighborhood Rite Aid, or if the Skittles company has cut way back on production, or what.

This girl? Would like a rainbow of fruit flavors. In fun size bags.

I wonder if there is some freakish Skittle hording household in the neighborhood of my local Rite Aid, buying up all the candy? What do you think? Are you having trouble finding Skittles, too?

LM

8 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

My Rite Aid was out of Starbursts. I almost wept.

Friday, March 27, 2009 3:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would they do a bait and switch with Skittles? :)

Friday, March 27, 2009 6:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am totally cracking up at your harassment of the 17 year old stockboy for some skittles! Also? Could totally imagine having the same conversation about dark chocolate m-n-m's. And what the what about not stocking what they advertise?!

Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

Metaphorically: yes, yes I am.

Oh, wait. Was that not a metaphor?

Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I read the second to last paragraph too quickly and thought it said, "This girl...fun bags." Still laughing over fun bags. Thank for the giggle, even though you didn't mean for it. I need to work on my maturity level. I used to eat Skittles, but had to give them up b/c I'm pretty sure they have gluten. So I don't have that problem. I hope Rite Aid gets more soon for you!

Monday, March 30, 2009 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I find that Rite Aid never has anything on sale.

I love sweet tarts, so do the girls, I wish I could find those all the time.

Can you buy a big bag and ration?

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:13:00 PM  
Blogger park it said...

Cost co - ECONOMY SIZE - Skittles are like crack for kids - for 5 yes 5 stittles my child would do back flips if she knew how!
We are leaving for China this week and bought a BOX - HUGE box - one never knows what meltdown must be bribed...
Carol in FL

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger KG said...

What a bummer!

I managed to find some of those Cadbury mini eggs (my ultimate favorite) before they were released to the market in a CVS and I was in HEAVEN. They only get released after Valentine's Day, generally. I really wish they sold them year round.

*drools*

Now I'm hungry.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter