Tuesday, January 25, 2011

...and my cat is HUGE*

Random things in random order because I'm not feeling like organizing my thoughts today:


  • Work is extremely crazy stressful right now, for a variety of reasons, most of them involving stuff I can't discuss


  • I've started taking a belly dancing class, which I am enjoying very much. However, I am sore in places I didn't know I had.


  • I am completely horrified by this story involving a woman who was adopted by an American family at the age of 8 months. She is now facing deporation because her American citizenship was never established. As the author of the story notes, the moral of the story is that adoptive parents have a responsibility to establish citizenship for their children before they turn 18.


  • I am wholly devoted to the TV show Burn Notice and the capers of Michael and Fi and Sam. This is keeping me on the treadmill, thank goodness.


  • After devouring the Hunger Games Trilogy and a disturbing novel called ROOM that everyone is buzzing about, I longed to read something sweet. As such, I picked up a copy of Anne of Green Gables at the library and I am loving the quaint coziness of it. The last time I read through the series was 1996, when Husband and I were living in Japan and the series was one of the few selections available in English at the library. I am finding it as charming as I did then (and before that as a 12 year old girl) although I will confess to the fact that I giggle inappropriately every time the author uses the word "ejaculate" to describe someone's speech. (I.e. "Anne, why did you do such a wicked thing? ejaculated Marilla." Totally approprirate for 1905, of course, and yet hilarious in 2011.)


  • We adopted a new cat at the end of December. He is HUGE. He is one of the tallest, longest, largest house cats I've ever seen. Much larger than a number of dogs we know. But he is so charming and has such an empathetic look on his face I can't help but love him. Also, he loves me devotedly, and has since the day we brought him home. His devotion to me is undeserved - Husband is the one who rescued him from the cat shelter - but he adores me just the same. I've not had an animal so enamored of me since my dog died. (The dog I had growing up, from the time I was 12.) I'm quite fond of him as well, so I will spam you with a photo:



The photo really doesn't give you an accurate feeling above how massive this cat is. But trust me when I say, he is HUGE.

*Christopher Moore, from his book Bloodsucking Fiends

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so... "Room"? I am still in the first 40 or so pages and I haven't picked it back up. Is it awful? should I quit?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger LawMommy said...

I wouldn't suggest not picking it back up...because I would say it does have a hopeful ending. But I would recommend having a light read ready to go right afterwards. :-)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Mer (Lulu's Mommy) said...

Absolutely adorable. Reminds me of my cat Harold, I had him 15 years.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

About Anne... now you know what to be prepared for when you read it to Lana in a couple of years. One thing to read in your head, completely another to say out loud to your child!

e

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awwwwww.........he's so cute! We have talked about getting another cat. We miss our cat so.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Lola Granola said...

That's some heavy reading...Anne sounds like an excellent anecdote.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Michal said...

Anyone who quotes Christopher Moore is a-ok in my book!

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter