Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Kindergarten Homework

Last night I was sitting at our kitchen table helping Gabe do his homework.

It is unusual for him to have "homework" per se. Every Monday night he has "letter person" homework, where he has to think of something that starts with the "letter of the week" and then he takes that item to school the next day. But actual, sit-at-the-table-write-on-the-paper homework is rare.

Anyway, this homework was called, "On the Day I was Born".

The sheet said:

My full name is ___________________________________.

I was born on ______________________.

On the day I was born the weather was _______________.

My parents named me for ___________________________.

My name means_________________________.

My parents said I looked like _______________.

So, I was helping him with this, and finding a baby picture to tape to the page (per instructions) and I suddenly got REALLY SAD.

And the weird reason I was sad was, I know "Samuel" is out there, already born. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WEATHER WAS LIKE ON THE DAY HE WAS BORN (okay, realistically, considering its Vietnam, we can probably go with 'warm and humid'). AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS NAME IS RIGHT NOW. AND IT IS POSSIBLE THAT I WON'T EVER KNOW THE EXACT DATE OF HIS BIRTH, OR WHO HIS BIRTH MOTHER THOUGHT HE LOOKED LIKE.

And it made me sad, because I will want to know those things, for this child of mine who I haven't found yet. And I will feel sad, when he brings home this assignment, and I don't have the answers.

Is that crazy? I just want to find him and bring him home RIGHT NOW.

Patience. Patience is a virtue.

Law Mommy

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

I have those same thoughts when I tuck our 3.5 yo, Diesel, in at night. Who's tucking in my other baby tonight??? It makes me crazy to think about it.

~Nicole

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

I thought the same thing as I read the questions on your sons assignment. I can guess what the weather was based on the time of year, but I can't tell my daughter "it was the hottest June in years" like I can for her older sister.
It makes me sad to think of Zeeb growing older every day without us; I even get sad thinking he is sleeping when we are awake and vice-versa - it somehow makes him feel even farther away.
Waiting to bring him home is one of the hardest things I've had to do. Patience is a virtue I do not possess!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to dis on the kindergarten, but it's entirely possible that there are kindergarteners in the class that are adopted. Not very sensitive really. In fact, I think its' oblivious.

As a 42 year old adoptee, I still don't know several of the answers to those questions. And it even makes ME sad for myself. I would say something to the teacher, but that's because I'm a bit of a zealot about that stuff.

Friday, March 31, 2006 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter