Thursday, April 13, 2006

All Things Adoption

I found this article today, and I thought it was interesting. It's about U.S. born babies being adopted by Canadians. Kind of an interesting twist on international adoption:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/07/20/60minutes/main710397.shtml

I'm not sure what to think about the story. I'm trying to adopt a child in another country and bring them to the U.S., and a big reason I've chosen international adoption is the security in knowing that no birth parent is ever going to show up and tell me that they want to take my child away from me. That I won't be given a child for 30 days, only to be told that the birth mother changed her mind. That I won't, five years on, have a guy just released from prison show up at my door step and demand to see his child, and start squawking about how he didn't give his consent properly because he was coerced while in prison. (This actually happened to one of our firm's clients.)

So, I imagine, that for a Canadian couple, they might see more security in adopting from the US, where it might be more difficult for the birth parents to challenge the adoption in court.

I really don't think this article means that Americans don't love their African-American children. I have clients who are willing to adopt a child of any color - but, they can't afford the private agency fees, so, they are going through the foster system. And, well, I don't think I can even get started on the many many problems with that...

--------------------------------

This morning I attended an adoption hearing. I don't usually get to attend these, because they are everyone's favorite hearings to attend, and since I am the "low man on the totem pole" in my office, it's rare that I am asked to take care of one of them. But, today, no one else was available for the adoption hearing, so, I got to go. Our probate judge loves adoptions hearings, and he tries very hard to make it feel important and meaningful for the adopting parents, and the child, if they are old enough to understand. I wish I could write about my client and the adoptee. But, that is a big no-no. Suffice it to say, I kind of got choked up. I couldn't help thinking about the day that Husband and I and Gabe and the new child will be in that same courtroom, re-adopting our new addition....

That's all for now,
LM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter