Thursday, June 08, 2006

Having lost my wits completely, I take to complaining to corporations...

I think I am seriously losing perspective about what things are really important, or maybe it is the feeling that I have no control over most of this adoption experience...

I sent an email to the American Girl Doll Company.

What the F**K is wrong with me?

I have spent the morning incensed about the fact that there is no Asian American Girl Doll for a daughter I don't even have yet. And may not ever have, because, we all know that Lawmommy has had her heart broken in this process before.

But, I sent an email to them, complaining about the fact that there is no Asian American Historical Girls Doll, and that adoptive mothers, such as myself, would like to see an Asian American Girls Doll for their daughters...[!!what daughter!! I am such a liar. Or a misrepresenter of all relevant facts at a minimum!!]

As if I do not have enough in my life to think about!

What is crazy is...they answered me. They answered me as if I am a totally reasonable human being and not a mother being driven slightly insane by the adoption experience and by the fact that her baby boy graduated from kindergarten last night and she just can't handle it.

Anybody want to know what they said??

Dear Ms. W~,

Thank you for your e-mail expressing your interest in an Asian American doll. We currently offer dolls which are considered Asian American in appearance: BB4B Bitty Baby® and GT4G American Girl Today®. Both have light skin, black hair, and black almond-shaped eyes. Our GT25G American Girl Today® doll has light skin, black hair, and dark brown eyes. In addition, our new Girl of the Year 2006, Jess, has a JapaneseAmerican mother. Jess has dark brown hair and almond eyes. A character with an Asian background would also be a welcome addition toThe American Girls Collection®, as Asian Americans have played a pivotalrole in the growth of the United States. One of the major goals of American Girl® is to portray American girls with honesty, integrity, andhistorical accuracy. We do intend to continue to research new characters in order to include as many of the important eras and backgrounds of our country as possible. While we continue to conduct research into new characters, it is important to remember that this is alengthy process. To ensure that all of our characters possess the integrity and accuracy that has become associated with our products, we need a minimum of three years for our Product Development team to research and develop a new American Girls Collection character. Thank you again for taking the time to write. Please be assured that American Girl intends to continue to develop the Collection to reflect the rich diversity of traditions this country affords. Your comments and requests are important to us, and we thank you for taking the time to share them.

Sincerely,American Girl® Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-845-0005 or 608-831-5210
Fax: 608-828-4790Available Monday - Sunday 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Central Time

Considering that I got this answer within 25 minutes of sending the email, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is NOT THE FIRST TIME they have gotten a letter about this issue...

Somebody send me a mountain of valium...or a huge freaking box of Chamomile tea and one of the relaxation bath balls...

LM

3 Comments:

Blogger bluefairy said...

You are not nuts...Stressed and emotionally charged, but not nuts. I laughed wheen I read your blog this morning because it is honestly something I would do. Keep your chin up and maybe treat yourself this weekend....maybe a massage or a pedicure could help you relax even if only for the hour you are pampering yourself.

You know it will all come together in the end.

Take care.

bluefairy

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

LM, you are cracking me up! I confess though, I wrote to the Language Littles people asking them to *please* make a Vietnamese doll. ;-) Someone just posted this link on one of my Cam lists: http://www.dollfactorydirect.com/productDetails.asp?Category=EuroGirls&SubCategory=EuroGirls&CatName=EuroGirls&Id=221 ... she's sort of a fake (cheaper) Asian American-girl type doll. It's a start anyway!

Friday, June 09, 2006 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

I really wish that there were more VN dolls. I know it would be easy to buy a Chinese doll and dress her in American clothes but I want a little Ao Dai on a doll damn it!

Saturday, June 10, 2006 12:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter