Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fun with Vaccinations

I had a long conversation with my insurance company today. I was put on hold SEVERAL times.

Here are the bottom line answers to my questions:

1. When Husband and I travel to Vietnam, we have to take a letter from our insurance carrier, indicating that we have medical insurance. With this letter, allegedly, should we god forbid need medical treatment while in Vietnam, we would be able to prove that it will be paid for. (It seems to me the odds of this being needed, or being effective if it did, are slim.)

2. Any child adopted by us in Vietnam would be covered by our medical insurance upon boarding a plane, with us, bound for the United States. (Evidently, they have thought about this before.)

3. There are no pre-existing conditions clauses that would affect the child's coverage once he or she arrived in the US.

4. Under no circumstances with our health insurance company pay for the vaccinations we need for this trip. :-(

So, I called the county health department. And, as luck would have it, they have a travel immunization clinic where they will happily administer the following immunization to Husband and I:

HepA and HepB - (this is a three shot series that takes six months to complete, and we need at least the first two shots before we travel)
Typhoid
Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis
MMR - (because evidently the fact that we both had this in 1977 isn't really good enough.)

Anyway, they will provide us this service at the rock bottom price of $300.00 per person.

It beats the $450 per person my regular family doctor would require.

I made an appointment for June 21.

Just watch - this is the day before our INS appointment. We will probably get all these shots and be too darn sick to go. Maybe we should just start the HepA and HepB series and wait until the next month to do the rest...

LM

5 Comments:

Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

I did all 4 at once (I'd had the MMR a while ago...they make you have it now if you want to attend college) anyway, they weren't THAT bad all at once. You'll be fine. :-)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

We went to the travel clinic today. Got Tetanus (with pertussis thrown in for good measure) and Typhoid. Typoid didn't hurt but Tetanus hurt and still does. We did Hep A/B last time so at least we didn't have to do those again. In some weird way it made me feel more "adoption pregnant" to be going to the doctor. ;-)

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger LawMommy said...

Christina,

Are you feeling okay today after getting the Typhoid and pertussis?

I talked to my mom last night - she says she thinks I get an MMR booster in the summer of 1990, because the college I went to required it. Dave says he thinks he remembers going to the doctor his senior year of high school and being given this as well, for college requirements...It's totally possible that my mother-in-law actually wrote this down - she keeps amazing records of everything. If she can find the record of this, we aren't going to spend the $60 a piece to get it again...

Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

LM - I feel fine, my pertussis/tetanus shot arm is sore and the other arm (typhoid) hurts a little if I press that spot, but other than that, no probs. You can also get the typoid vaccine as a pill - taken over like 4 days - but it gives you stomache upset and I wasn't in the mood for that.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

We are doing the Hep A and B, haven't thought about the Typhoid, crap.

For some reason our insurance is paying. We didn't ask, we just did it and they paid. I guess I should have thought about it first! Oh well, gotta get it done anyway.

Good luck, my last Hep A, the 6 month booster killed me and I felt like crap for a day and my arm hurt for 2 days.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter