Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Computer is Dead

My computer has kicked the bucket. Thrown off this mortal coil. Rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Bought the disk farm. Playing harp duets with Hoffa. Bought a ticket to the boneyard. D-E-A-D, is what I am saying.

Obviously, not the computer I am using, which is in my office. But, the computer in my home, it is gone, baby, gone.

I am deeply disturbed about this on a few levels.

A. Quicken is holding all the info about my checking and savings and mortgage accounts for the PAST THREE YEARS. And of course I have not backed it up in about 6 months. (WHY???????)

B. All of our family pictures for the last three years.

C. Our Christmas card mailing list with everyone's updated addresses and such.

D. Something like a Virgin Mega Store worth of music

Gone. All gone.

I'm going to see if a computer fix-it type guy can save any of the data, but, honestly, I. AM. NOT. HOPEFUL.

It started singing (the computer. Not with words. Perhaps humming would be a better description). And then it froze up. And then it stopped talking to the monitor. And now it won't even turn on.

Ugh.

LM

5 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

That really stinks! I hope you are able to revive the old thing long enough to get some info out of it.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Don't panic. A good computer person can absolutely get your info off the hard drive - even if it's a little corrupted. Our computer died last year and B~ got almost everything off it, but it took some time/effort because the hard drive was pretty messed up. But in the end we got everything we needed from it.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it should not be a probolem to get your info from the hard drive. stone computers at westgate did it for me!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:36:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

If it won't even turn out, it sounds like your power supply. I highly doubt it is your harddrive, in which case they will be able to replace what is broken and you can go back to business as usual. XXcross fingersXX

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happened to us and it was our power supply...possbibly damaged by lightening. If you do get it fixed, make sure you back up everything. After the power supply was bad (and then fixed), other hardware started not working.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter