Monday, October 09, 2006

Well, I'm not dying

My doctor's nurse left a message on my home answering machine. (Note, if your doctor's nurse calls, instead of the doctor himself, the news is probably not dire. If the doctor's nurse calls you at home and just leaves a message, the news is actually probably good. If the doctor's nurse calls you at work...the news is probably not great, but, if the doctor himself calls you at work, in my experience, the news is BAD. My most recent experience with this, indirectly, was when the doctor of one of my firm's partners called and told him that he needed to come to the ER IMMEDIATELY. Myself and two other lawyers were in his office having a meeting when that call got beeped through. We (all three of us who hadn't just been ordered to the ER by an oncologist) drove the sick lawyer to the ER at breakneck speed. When the hospital staff asked what our relationship to him was, they pointed at me and said, "She's his niece. We're his partners." Long quizzical look from nurse as if my uncle was involved in a bizarre menage a trois relationship, with his niece along for the ride. "Law partners," the partners clarified. "You're both lawyers and she's his niece?" the nurse asked. "No, all of us are lawyers. But, she's ALSO his niece. If you need a blood relative." "All THREE of you are lawyers? And the patient is a lawyer?" "Yes," we said in unison. We got really amazingly fast service at the ER that day. I like to think that they treat everyone that well, even if they don't show up with three attorneys...)

Anyway, I digress.

The point of this doctor's nurse called and left a message at home for me to call at my convenience. When I called, they said, "all your tests came back clear - there's not a sign of cancer or pre-cancerous cells." So, bottom line is that my troublesome uterus is mine to keep for the time being at least. Until it drives me so freaking nuts with it's bothersome antics that I decide to banish it for good.


I had the pleasure of taking my son to the hospital this afternoon for his pre-operative testing for his tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy which is scheduled to happen two weeks from today. This involved taking his weight and height and medical history, and then the dreaded blood draw.

My boy was so very brave, and I held him on my lap and sang "I'm in love with a big blue frog", which is the song I have always sung to him at night to calm him down. And he didn't even cry or anything. He whimpered, for a second, when they had to jostle the needle around because no blood was coming out, but, then he was quiet and just held tight onto my hand. And when it was done, he said, "I was scared, mom, but, my brave was bigger than my scared was."

Yes little man, yes, it was.



Blogger Irshlas said...

How precious! Ya know, sometimes I wish as a grown up that MY brave was bigger than my scared.


Monday, October 09, 2006 7:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

This is wonderful news that your tests came back clear! YEAH!!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 11:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Janie said...

Glad to hear your test results were good!! :)

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Great news about your tests.
That is the sweetest cutest thing, what Gabe said about his blood draw. Definitely one for the memory book.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter