Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A blog challenge

I am bored, driving myself freaking crazy with the waiting for news about Lana, and

I NEED SOMETHING TO READ.

Those of you who know me in real life probably know that I am difficult to live with when I am between books. I wander aimlessly, pestering my family to amuse me, and watch mindless television like, 'The Twenty Most Horrifying Hollywood Murders" on the E! network.

Okay, so my challenge is: Blog about a book or books you have recently read that you enjoyed! (One of my real life friends who has a new blog (ahem, CR, you KNOW who you are) is actually an English teacher, so, I am expecting great things from this!! :-))

If you don't have a blog, comment here on my blog with book recommendations!

Here are my recommendations for you, dear readers, things I have read or re-read recently that I enjoyed:

  1. Sophie Metropolis and Dirty Laundry: A Sophie Metopolis Mystery by Tori Carrington. These are two lighthearted mysteries that I couldn't put down. I will paraphrase a quote from the back of the books for a sum-up - "if you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the Stephanie Plum mysteries, these books are for you."
  2. Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster - this is a bitter but funny memoir with a subtitle of something like, "why you shouldn't take a Prada bag to the unemployment office". You can check out the author's blog at http://www.jennsylvania.com
  3. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore - and pretty much anything by Christopher Moore - he is a genius. He does drop the F*bomb a lot. Don't let that keep you from loving him like I do, baby. His website is www.chrismoore.com
  4. The Sookie Stackhouse series and the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris - supernatural mysteries with a pinch of romance. http://www.charlaineharris.com
  5. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. This is a mammoth story, by a first time author. The books weaves a dialogue across several decades, a mystery, a coming of age story, a Dracula story. Incredibly well written.

Okay, your turn. This girl needs a good book, FAST.

LM

13 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Good idea! The Historian is on my list of must-reads. Glad you liked it. Lately all I've read are adoption books & My Little Pony books. I'll see if I can scrap up some halfway intelligent book reviews for you in the very near future.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger Carma said...

I hope I can come up with a book for you. Remember the books I hear about are those about teenage girls who aren't very nice. One though that is truly funny is the series about Full Frontal Snogging, Angus, and Thongs. Very funny, British humor.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger RollerCoaster said...

I wish I could give you something to read. Lots going on but no time to read for me and no time to blog. GL in your search for a good book!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:48:00 AM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

I like the mysteries by M.C. Beaton. There are two series, the Hamish MacBeth series and the Agatha Raisin series. Each has at least 15 titles. I happen to like the Hamish series better, but they're both amusing cozy-type mysteries.

Then there's the novel I'm writing, but being as I only have about 60 pages, that wouldn't keep you busy for very long. :D

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

challenge accepted. I just posted on my blog some books I have read in the last month and a half....not sure if any will strike your fancy, but who knows.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 11:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just re-read Gone With the Wind- very, very good and a good thick read. I can always re-read anything by Alexander Dumas- the Three Muskateers, The Count of Monte Cristo. Have you read all of the Tom Robbins books? Thank you so much for the Christopher Moore books- they are immensely satisfying and clever. I am between books too, therefore I turn to the classics!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 1:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the books by Jennifer Weiner? I really love her writing. Another author recommendation is Sarah Waters. She writes historical fiction and her first few books especially are really fun.

If you're interested in nonfiction, I highly recommend Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell, which is the story of a woman who cooks her way through Julia Child one recipe at a time. I also liked Heat, by Bill Buford, which is about restaurants and Italian food and is very good.

More fiction: how about Donna Tartt (The Secret History)? Pam Ribon writes good, breezy fiction--I liked Why Moms Are Weird a lot. If you liked The Historian, you might like Possession, by A.S. Byatt (assuming you haven't already read it.)

My standard mystery writers are Anne Perry, Elizabeth George, P.D. James, and Deborah Crombie. I recommend any of their series of mysteries.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

hahahahahaha
You make me laugh. I don't have time to read!!! But when I do, it's often the writings of our 7th and 8th grade class while I use my little green pen to break their hearts. muhahaha.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Carma said...

Some great books have been mentioned. I love Jennifer Weiner's books. I still need to read her latest. The Secret History is also a great book. I can't wait to get started on some of those mystery books that Kate mentioned.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 6:09:00 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Oh I love books

for fun light reading Alexander McCall Smith
(He does the "No.1 Ladies Detective" series)

for unbelievably entertaining brilliant writing I am currently enthralled by "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer
I'll second the nomination for Sarah Waters too - anything she writes is gorgeous

Oh I love books!

Friday, November 10, 2006 10:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A List
Golden, A: Memoirs of a geisha.

Niffenegger, A: The Time Travelers Wife

Fitch, J: White Oleanders

Murdoch, I: The Green Knight

de Bernieres, L: Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Reichl, R: Tender at the Bone

Adams, R :Watership Downs

Min, A: Red Azaleas

Esquivel, L: Like Water for Chocolate

Divakaruni, C: Sister of my Heart

Kaye, M :Far Pavillions

Sijie, D: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamistress

Kingsolver, B: Poisonwood Bible

Tan, A: Joy luck club (I liked all her books)

Tucker, Neely :Love in the driest season.

Gibbons, S: Cold comfort farm

Giovanni Guareschi :Don Camillio

Benchley, R: Benchley Round-up

Rowling, JK: Harry Potters. all



Good B-list
Chevalier, T :Girl with the Pearl earring
Chang, J: Wild Swans
Monk, S: Secret Life of Bees
Jeffrey Eugenides : Middlesex
Malladi, A: Serving crazy with curry
Min, A: Becoming madame Mao
Snicket, L: Series of unfortunate events
Godden, R: The Diddakoi

C-List
Julie Powell: Julia and Julia
Divakaruni,C: Mistress of the spices
Divakaruni, C: Queen of the night

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Ange said...

I agree with annonymous : The Time Travelers Wife is and excellent book you NEED to read it!

Saturday, November 11, 2006 9:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Take a look adipex | | didrex | meridia | adipex | phentermine | phentermine
phentermine | ativan | valium | xanax | sex for adult
Bye

Friday, December 08, 2006 3:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter