Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Random Tonsil, Adoption and Goat related news

Gabriel is doing somewhat better. I called the doctor’s office in full-on “freaked out mother” mode. I believe the moment they started paying attention to me was when I said, “this child is not speaking.”

Doctor’s office: “What do you mean he’s not speaking? How old is he?” (Am I asking too much to think that the doctor’s office MIGHT have a CLUE how old their patients are???????????)

LM: “I mean he is a six year old child who has not said a word in 6 hours because he won’t open his mouth to talk. He is using sign language he learned in preschool.”

Doctor’s office: “Perhaps he needs some different pain medication. It is very important for him to drink and get liquids into his body.” (No shit Sherlock. I may have gone to law school instead of med school, but, I AM aware of the fact that a dehyrdrated post-operative child is BAD NEWS.)

The doctor’s office then called me back 5 minutes later to tell me that they had called in something called Lortab Elixir. Which is, not, in fact, from a Harry Potter Potions lesson (as its name suggests), but, curiously, an actual medication, which seems to be very effective for pain management.

It is working. My child is speaking and drinking liquids, and last night, around 10PM, he ate dish of very soft mac’n’cheese. And a cherry snow cone. (At the suggestion of one of my real life girlfriends (thank you CB, you are much much loved), I bought a snow cone maker. Which was on CLEARANCE. (Because, really, who wants to make snow cones in October?)

(I have big big plans for the snow cone maker next summer that involve pineapple juice and Barcadi Coconut Rum and long floats in the pool...I digress…)

As we were getting ready for bed, Husband forgot that Gabriel had eaten a red snow cone and thought his incision was bleeding. That was a frightening moment. But, it passed.

So, I am feeling somewhat better about things on that front.

In other news, I am evicting GOATS. And chickens. And no, I am not kidding. I mean, I suppose, technically I am evicting the OWNER of the goats and the chickens.

Oy vey es mir.

In still other news, we have no news from our agency regarding Lana’s documents. We wait and wait and wait some more.

In interesting adoption type news, Mrs. Broccoli Guy at http://mrsbroccoliguy.blogspot.com and Nicki at http://sixmonkeyjungle.blogspot.com/
are leaving this week for Vietnam to go pick up their newest family members. Ladies, have a safe trip and I will want all the low-down details regarding where to stay and WHAT TO EAT in Hanoi.

In other adoption-ish news, I ran across an interesting discussion about the pros and cons of adoption at http://alittlepregnant.typepad.com, and I would be curious to know what others think about Julie’s take on the issue. I may discuss this at length in another post.

Must go now and try to figure out what the heck I am supposed to do with two dozen goats and chickens….

LM

5 Comments:

Blogger RollerCoaster said...

I am very happy to hear Gabriel began to drink and eat! Thank goodness for yummy and effective Elixers!

Hmmmm...goats and chickens.....have fun with that!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thank Goodness for cherry snowcones (actually thank goodness for any snowcone, I still love snowcones even though I am, technically, an "adult")! I am so glad the "not harry potter, but still darn good" elixer is working!
as for the goats and their other farm companions, oh vey, oh vey, oh vey....do you have a local 4H or other type of organization? maybe they can help.....

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Karrie said...

Wow the excitement in your home keeps going. I took a break and missed out so much. How are all the adoptions going? I was sure you had twins in Vietnam.....

Thursday, October 26, 2006 2:33:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Glad to hear Gabriel is doing better. Hope the goats and chickens thing works out for you...sorry, no help there! :)

Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Gretchen,
Interesting how some people regard adoption, huh? I have too many thoughts on this for just a short comment but one thing I say about the genetic connection is: I love my husband more than anyone on the planet. Since he is not biologically related to me, how can I doubt or question what my love would be a child not related to me or has my genetic make-up? I also think it's funny how people are so very proud of their own DNA. I personally have nothing great to pass on except for environment. My bio family has had cancer, strokes and other health issues. Many are unattractive and unintelligent.

~Michelle

Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter