Monday, November 13, 2006

Lazy Weekend

It was a lazy sort of weekend….

Not much to report in terms of excitement.

Friday morning I had a conference with Gabriel’s teacher about his 1st grade progress. Bottom line, his math skills are very good, he reads well, he is polite and friendly and plays and cooperates with the other children. His writing and spelling skills need work. Honestly, I am baffled by this, because he is such a good reader. It’s like he has a disconnect between knowing how to read a word and being able to remember how to write it – this is a disconnect that I have trouble understanding.

Last night I tried to get him to close his eyes and visualize words on a page, but, he was tired and frustrated and it didn’t go very well. Considering that all three of us just wanted to veg on the couch and watch Iron Chef (it was a match-up between Racheal Ray and Giadda DeLaurentis (sp?)) – I didn’t push the spelling issue. He finished the homework in a mediocre way, and I hope to try this whole “visualization” exercise again. (This was not his teacher’s suggestion, it’s just the way that I think about spelling and writing. My spelling DOES leave something to be desired, but, at least it is functional and thank god for my assistant and also for Spell Check in Microsoft Word.)

Saturday morning, Husband took Gabriel to the children’s science museum that is across the street from my office building, while I went into the office to get some work done. Thereafter we picked up my niece, T~, and practiced parenting two children for the rest of the weekend. (My brother had plans, so, we agreed to watch T~ overnight.) I very nearly flunked “dressing the five year old girl” – I was at my wit’s end with trying to get T~ into a pair of tights. Eventually, I hauled her onto my lap and bunched the tights up and then rolled them back up her legs one at a time. I guess it is going to take some practice – Little Girl Dressing 101. I also attempted to pin T~’s long thick wavy hair back with some Hello Kitty barrettes I had purchased for Lana. It was…not effective. So, I just brushed it out and let her wear it down. From her pictures, Lana’s hair is very straight, stick straight, so, I am holding out hope that the barrettes will work in her hair.

We met our friends M~ and R~ for dinner last night, and just had a relaxing evening with them. (M~ and I watched last Tuesday’s episode of Gilmore Girls and Husband and Gabriel and R~ played XBOX golf.)

Speaking of Gilmore Girls, the promo for THIS week’s episode says Christopher is going to propose to Lorelei in Paris – I say we have a poll – will Lorelei say yes????????

That’s all for now,
LM

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the teacher explained that it is normal and often expected that writing will lag behind reading as the child has to coordinate idea development with fine motor skills and spelling/letter knowledge/phonics. In reading someone else did the idea and fine motor work for him....if he is reading it will come. Are the stories better if he word processes on a computer?

Monday, November 13, 2006 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

LM - my eldest has this disconnect still at age 12. for some kids it is normal when they are little and they outgrow it, for others it is a laerning disability. Think of it this way: When you hear me say a word - say "cookie" - you probably get a visual flash instantly in your head of what the word "cookie" looks like. You don't even think about the sounds it makes. This is not the case for my son. He has never in his life seen a visual flash of a word. He sees a picture of a cookie! So he can draw very well :-) but he can not spell to save his life and writing was very slow in developing. He can also read very very well and always has. So for some kids, it is just a part of development, but other kids never develop that skill, their brains just don't process words that way.

Monday, November 13, 2006 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I LOVE your blog. It makes me smile every time I read it. It's fantastic to see that someone else types in rants. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your travel approval. Good luck!

http://bringinghomebe.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 12:08:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I hate the Christopher and Lorelai angle. I hate it. If she says yes I will not be happy but I guess that is how they are going to close out the show. sucks. And the whole Luke plot line is soo stupid.

enough ranting-J

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Don't feel bad...I still struggle getting my 5.5 year old daughter dressed. The hair thing still trips me up. Even if I get it just right, within 5 minutes there are wisps of hair flying everywhere and it's always falling in her face.

Lana will still love you to pieces even if her tights are on crooked and her hair is all over the place. :)

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter