Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Little Footprints

Yesterday evening, we got a FedEx package from our agency. Inside was a piece of paper with an outline of Lan's feet. Her feet are about 16.5 cm long from the tip of her big toe to the back of her heel. I have no idea what size the correllates to - I'm going to take the outline of her feet with me shopping next weekend. To buy a pair of shoes. For Lan.

Let me say that again:

I am buying a pair of shoes. For Lan.

This is real. There is a REAL child with REAL feet on the other side of the world and I am going to go out next weekend and BUY SHOES FOR THOSE FEET.

I'm not sure why this makes this seem so much more real, but, it does.

The piece of paper also contains new measurements. She is 107 cm tall (42 inches, roughly). This puts her at the 87 percentile in height for a child - making her only about half a head shorter than her big brother. She has lost some weight since her last measurement, and is only weighing in at 15 kilos. That's 33 pounds. Which puts her at the 34 percentile for weight. I worry about the weight loss - is it an actual loss, or has their been some other issue - perhaps she was weighed with more or fewer clothes on, perhaps she was weighed on a different scale. Nonetheless, it worries me. A half a kilo is a lot of weight, when you only weigh 15 kilos.

I am overwhelmed by the things that I need to take care of, before travel can occur. Overwhelmed that travel could happen at "any time" or weeks and weeks from now. OVER WHELMED. Excited. Terrified. Nervous. But, mostly, overwhelmed. Tempted to crawl under my desk and hide from the world, a la George Costanza in the napping episode of Seinfeld.

Resisting the urge to do so, and going off to take care of some things,

LM

10 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I am so freaking excited for you! I read each day with such a smile on my face and a tear in my eye because happiness is just a moment away. I can not wait to read of that moment...when you hold your daughter and bring her HOME.

Best wishes...and enjoy the shoe shopping!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I hope you get Lan asap. That foot outline must have just killed you! How cute and sweet. I am overwhelmed too. It is very over whelming but somehow you get through it.

No go buy those shoes.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm so excited for you in these last moments of preparation! I think it's great they sent you an outline of her foot...I would give anything for that. I'm just throwing in a bunch of shoes & hoping something fits!

My 5.5 y/o daughter is 42" & 35 lbs. She is a 5T for long sleeve tops & pants (for length only). Shorts & t-shirts she's still in a 3-4T, and a 4T for dresses. Also, adjustable waists are a MUST for her.

I don't know if you need this unsolicated info, but I thought I would share if it might help a little. :)

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger LawMommy said...

Rachel,

Thank you - that's incredibly helpful!

Gretchen

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:58:00 PM  
Blogger Destination Motherhood said...

How wonderful! I love little shoes enjoy :)

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:31:00 PM  
Blogger La Turista said...

What if you mat and frame that piece of paper and hang it in Lana's room? What a treasure. can't wait to hear more!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

The outline of her feet is just the sweetest thing! My daughter Phoebe is also tall and lean. We get a lot of her clothes from Lands End or the Gap. They make slim sizes and most of their pants and jeans have the adjustable button/elastic tabs on the sides. They're great! I wouldn't worry so much about her weight loss....if she suddenly shot up she could have just thinned out a bit. If only I were taller! ;-)

~Michelle

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The outline of her foot reminded me that I had seen a size chart online somewhere, so I tracked it down. The Gap has a download with foot outlines indicating sizing for baby/toddler shoes.

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=6467
there's a spot on this page to click for size chart.

I thought it might be fun for you to compare to.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:18:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

How sweet that they sent an outline of her feet!!! Wow...its all so mindblowing.....you are in my thoughts and prayers...can't wait to hear that you get to go get Lan!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:39:00 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

My little one is about that size. She is just getting into a 5T, but with that weight I would think about perhaps getting 5 slims in pants, sometimes the adj waist won't adjust small enough. For shoes we are wearing 10s but big feet run in our family, check on that.
Really hoping we travel around the same time!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter