Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Phone Finally Rang

The phone finally rang with our agency on the other end, calling to tell me that Lan's dossier has finally been approved by the provincial authorities in DaNang. We are officially waiting for a travel call. A travel call that could come, "any time". In reality, most families from our agency have received a travel call 30 days after the call about their child's dossier being approved. So, in all likelyhood, we will get a call on December 15, telling us to be there on 31st. After I got off the phone with my agency I sat in my office chair for a full five minutes, shaking like crazy.

The bad news is, we will not be able to file our I600 petition at the USCIS office in Cleveland. (Our agency had been having families file the I600 in the US, but, they have switched, and now we will file in Vietnam. The downside to this is that I need to file an I824 form in Cleveland, and pay them $225, to process this request and send our pre-approval to Hanoi. I am pretty sure I could overnight a FedEx envelope to Hanoi for less than $225, but, I don't have any choice but to send the US government more of our money.) The upside to this, according to Mrs. Broccoli Guy, is that we will be able to get Lan's passport issued in the name "Lana W~" instead of her Vietnamese name (N~T~Bich Lan), which will save us having to have her name changed on her certificate of citizenship back here in the US. Considering that I am contemplating taking the kids to Mexico (Cozumel) for a family vacation next June, whatever keeps us up to date with Lan's citizenship papers is a good thing.

Happy, nervous, excited and generally freaking out,
LM

PS - Oh, I survived the Tiger Cub meeting. It was touch and go, but, we pulled through. By the way, in case you are ever in a position to make such decision, THIRTY is too many tiger cubs for a single tiger cub den. Just something to file away for future reference.

LM

13 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

HOW WONDERFUL! I am hoping for earlier than the 15th. What a wonderful early Christmas "gift" for you.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That's wonderful news! Here's to a speedy travel call!!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Congratulations!*

I hope you get travel dates soon!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So excited for you!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh YAY!!!!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

That is just fantastic!!!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

That is wonderful news!! I think that we will definitely cross paths in Vietnam. How fun. I am ready to go NOW!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger Destination Motherhood said...

I think today must be a good luck day. It seems every blog I read there is good luck going around! I'm so happy to hear of your progress :)

Wow everyone is going to be in Vietnam for xmass!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just SO happy for you. :-) And mad that they changed the policy about the I600 after us. Dang USCIS.

by the way... really putting the computer away and heading for the airport now...

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:24:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

fabulous news!! so happy for ya!
and glad you survived the tiger cubs....(:

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger Irshlas said...

Chúc Mùng Giáng Sinh !!!!

What happy news. Congratulations a million times over.

Hope the trip is smooth and soon
:-)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger RollerCoaster said...

YAY! GREAT NEWS about the travel or very soon to be travel!

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:36:00 AM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Fantastic news! Congrats to the whole family!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter