Monday, February 12, 2007

She was suprised to see me

When I arrived at the center at 5:20 this afternoon, she was sitting on Shelly's lap (Shelly being one of her two teachers.) She had a sad look on her face as she watched the other children being picked up by parents. I'm not sure if the look was sad or resigned.

Then she saw me and the look on her face was SUPRISE. The child was surprised I came for her. I think this breaks me heart more than if she had been angry with me. I think, because if she had been angry with me, she would have arrived at the place in our relationship where she feels entitled to be mad at me. And I'm not sure she's quite there.

She cautiously got off Shelly's lap and came over to me. I looked down at her, and she raised her arms up to me. She said, "Bahm!" which, as near as I can tell, means, "pick me up." (At least, this is what this means in our house, where it is said about a gazillion times a day to Husband.)

I picked her up (she only weighs 34 pounds after all) and she wrapped her small hands into my coat. "Do you want to go home?" I asked her. She nodded vigorously. "Gabriel mo?" she asked. (Where's Gabriel?) I said, 'Let's go find him" and she nodded again, vigorously.

I put her down and she ran to get her coat. With her coat on, she showed some excitement in showing me some things in her classroom, like her mailbox.

Husband wasn't home when we got there, as he was at a board meeting.

There was REJOICING when he came home. There were squeals of delight. There was dancing in a little circle and hopping around and cries of "Ba! Ba!" (He was already gone when she when she woke up this morning.)

I am glad she was happy to see him, and I am glad her first day at school was less traumatic than anticipated. I'm a little bit sad that she doesn't believe we will come for her, that we will always return for her. (Considering the loss of her foster mom, can I blame her? Not a chance in hell.)

Heading to bed for the night,
LM

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Space Mom said...

Give her time. She needs more time to learn that you WILL be there for her. She was with her foster family a long long time.

But I am glad she hugged you when you came for her!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Darn Google wouldn't let me comment earlier today!
I think it sounds like Lana is doing very well with all the HUGE changes in her life. And it's a good sign that she was happy to see you, right? I've never left Zeeb with anyone but Hubby but I imagine his reaction would be very similar.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

Heart breaking! I love it though...you guys are going to take the surprise and grow on it. By next month she'll be waiting at the door for you. You guys are great!

Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter