Friday, March 30, 2007

Bathing Beauty

Last night, for the first time, Lana took a bath. By which I mean she sat in the tub, with water up to her chest, played with toys, and splashed around. She had to be coaxed into the tub by her big brother (they were in the big jacuzzi tub in our bathroom.) Once she was in, she had a great time. She laughed, she loved the jacuzzi jets. When we told them it was time to get out, she raised up her right hand, all five fingers extended and said, "Five Minutes!! Five minutes more!!" Sometimes, she cracks me right up. The only tears came when Husband washed her hair. They were brief.

Lana also had her first hair cut in the United States yesterday. I took her to my good friend, J~, who also does my hair. She was very nervous when we went into the salon, and she clearly DID NOT want her hair cut, but, she sat on my lap and J~ patiently trimmed. She looks so much better without her hair hanging down into her eyes.

When we got home, Lana curiously told Husband, "Look Lana's hair! Lana's hair pretty. No cut. No cut hair. Pretty hair."

I'm not sure what to make of this - except that Lana may be trying to make a distinction between the "hair cuts" she got in Vietnam (in which her hair was basically shaved down to about 2 inches long) to the trim she got yesterday.

What was explained to us by our agency's social worker, when we arrived in Danang, was that Vietnamese children have very short hair until they are about 4 or 5. I am not sure if she meant "all Vietnamese children" or just ones in foster and orphanage care.

This morning, Lana let me put a clip in her hair. (We are growing part of her bangs out long - and that part of her hair needs to be pulled to the side with a barette.) The barette lasted about 10 minutes in her hair before it started to fall out. Her hair is so straight and so fine, it's like there is nothing for the barette to keep hold of. We may have to look for some clips or something...

LM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much progress! That "5 minutes more" would have cracked me up - she's getting the vernacular down so well.

I've found that "ouchless" elastics (plastic or the thin scuunci ones) work well in R's hair. I haven't yet found a barrett that will stay in her hair.

Friday, March 30, 2007 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I want to see a picture! I just found some new barrettes that were adorable and seemed like they would work in very fine hair (they are actually baby barrettes, but it sounds like they would work well to hold the part you are trying to grow out)--let me go try to find the name on the tag.

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trick to barrettes are to put whatever hair you want to pull back into one of those tiny black rubber bands first. Then you put the barrette right in front and it stays in place and (if your child is young like ours was) the child can't just pull it out. I still do this even though Amelia doesn't try to remove them anymore.

Congrats on the progress from a lurker:)


Tracy (leaving for Vietnam in 5 days to adopt her son)
www.jacklouis.net

Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Here's my two cents - we use the small clear plastic Goody rubberbands (they come in a couple or three different sizes), and then I just put a barrette right in front of it. We're all about the bows around here, so I've had lots of experience.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter