Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mad as Hell

Until yesterday, I didn't really have any thoughts, one way or the other, about the fact that Angeline Jolie is adopting a child from Vietnam. I have enjoyed some of her movies, and I think she has genuine care and concern about the orphans of the world. I do.

But, I am mad as hell today, about two articles I have read in the last 48 hours.

The first is this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_en_mo/people_jolie;_ylt=A9G_RxLZKfhFxswA6hNxFb8C

and the statement that has me hopping mad is this:

"The adoption is being processed quickly because the boy is an older child, and his files were nearly complete before Jolie decided to adopt, Trung [the orphanage director] said."

UM? WHAT? And HUH? And COME AGAIN??????????

I suggest that anyone who thinks that the paperwork of older children gets completed more quickly go have a gander at Mrs. Broccoli's Guy's blog. (http://mrsbroccoliguy.blogspot.com). Or, you know, MY blog. Or THE CURRY SEVEN (http://ordinary-time.blogspot.com) or any number of other "regular Americans" who blog about their adoptions of older children from Vietnam.

And if somebody can find me a blog of someone who is NOT Angelina Jolie whose adoption was processed this quickly, I would like to see it.

And THEN, this article is just the icing on the cake: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_en_mo/people_jolie;_ylt=A9G_RxLZKfhFxswA6hNxFb8C

"If all goes according to plan, Jolie could bring the child home by the weekend, officials said."

UM??? Yeah, Jolie arrived in Vietnam TODAY? So, evidently, even the US government is bending over backwards for her, because, you know, those of us who actually FOLLOWED THE GUIDELINES stayed in Vietnam for TWO TO THREE WEEKS in order to comply with the interviews and medical exams required by the US Embassy.

But, if you're Angeline Jolie, I guess you don't have to play by the rules.

And it's not that I am really all that angry that the rules are being bent for her. I KNOW money talks, and I know that fame opens doors that others of us don't have the opportunity to even knock on.

What really ticks me off is the IMPLICATION and the SUGGESTION that this is all "normal" - that she ISN'T GETTING SPECIAL TREATMENT.

Because she is. Call a spade a spade. Call it like it is. But don't try to shove a bunch of b.s. down my throat that her adoption was processed quickly because she is adopting an older child. Because that simply is a false and misleading statement. I adopted an older child. It took me six months to bring her home. I took me a year to complete the process!!

LM

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man are we in sync today!!!! Pretty much the exact same thing I wrote 5 minutes ago on my blog!
In other words, I hear ya sister. Oh boy do I hear ya.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

You know I actually got upset about it. I mean 3 days? I kept thinking, I thought they didn't expedite passports anymore and how is she doing 2 interviews and getting the visa in 2 days? When the turnaround is 2 days just for the visa? Who know who is telling the straight truth though. I mean this could all be made up by the press, who I really don't think researches anything anymore.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read some comment where Vietnamese officials said that she was getting special treatment because she was a "celebrated person." It may not be front and center, but I do think that Vietnam is being candid that she gets the royal treatment.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:37:00 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

You know what Vietnam chooses to do is one thing. But I was one of those families that was TWO WEEKS just for my two U.S. interviews, and that was with no paperwork issues. Others I traveled with were there for a week longer than that. THIS IS ALL ON THE U.S. END OF IT! I agree, don't act like all is normal when this surely is far from normal.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I am glad that this little boy doesn't have to spend any additional time in the orphange, this makes me mad!!!I adopted from Tam Bihn and my adoption took a total of 14 months!!!I wish my son could have come home sooner. I think I will write Dr. Long, Mr. Dao at IAD, which we personally meant with and had dinner with while in Vietnam and ask for an explanation of this process. Terra

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

You know one of the things that bugs me the most? (Aside from the special treatment that celebraties get just because a lot of people know their name)? It's that obviously Ms. Jolie thinks we are as dumb as rocks if we are going to believe her line about having her adoptions processed "just like everyone else". Either that, or someone else is as dumb as rocks if she actually believes that. This whole thing has really struck a nerve with me today!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger stollmyheart said...

Ditto! I have been bombarded with people at work and friends etc. all asking me about it. I didn't really have to much of an opinion, since I never really knew the truth...until I saw Good Morning America today and saw it was done and she was expected to leave VN in no time at all! Seriously... This is outrageous! I do appreciate her "good deeds" but I just wish she really went through the process like the rest of us!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to rain on the outrage parade, but one reason her adoption process was accelerated was due to the disruptive and at times violent behavior of the press following her every move while she was in Vietnam. Maybe that's not reason enough, but the media circus was certainly frightening to her son, and I'm sure if given the opportunity, you would have all opted to protect your children rather than toe the bureaucratic line.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter