Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Bridge to Terebithia

Here is a friendly warning that I hope will not be a spoiler.

Before you take your child/children to see the movie The Bridge to Terebithia, please please please read the book first.

There are two reasons for this:

A. It is a very good book, and
B. I do not think the movie trailers represent what could be a crushing ending for some senstive children (like my son).

My dad actually went to see the movie yesterday afternoon (because he and I had read the book together when I was 10 years old, and had cried together and bonded over it), and he confirms that the movie ends the same way the book does. Which means that Gabriel will not be seeing it FOR QUITE SOME TIME. (Not until he is old enough for me to read it to him first and not until such things do not send him into paroxsyms of month-long-worrying and obsessing over everyone's safety...)

My dad does also say it is a very very well done movie, so, if, you've read the book and are prepared for the ending, it is well worth watching.

LM

6 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

We went to see the movie. I had read the book and knew what happened but we were under the assumption that she did not die in the movie. But she does. It is devastating. V did okay with it. Jeff and I were the ones on the floor crying. I did think it was a very well made movie. And it SHOULD be seen on the big screen. Kids are forgetting to use their imaginations and I think this movie allows them to see how amazing our minds can be. Just my thoughts.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:21:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I read the book as a child, and it was one of my favorites. When the commercial came on for the movie, R commented that it "looks like a fun movie." I told him the book was great, but I wonder if they changed the ending for the movie, as the ending of the book was so sad. I am glad to know they stayed true to the book, but I agree that if a parent were considering taking their child to see it, they definitely need to read the book first.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Iselyahna said...

Well now I just have to find a copy because I have no idea what happens, except some undetermined girl dies.

I feel kinda dumb now. :D

Good to hear the movie's good though - I vaguely remember maybe reading the book when I was small, but now I can't seem to recall a darn thing.

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sevvie again with the bronchitis. i really want to watch it right now. it looks like a really good movie. i really think your home page is really awsome!!!!!

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, I had not heard of the book, but, saw commercials about the movie. On a Saturday afternoon 'date' with my husband, we thought it would be a good movie to see. We both cried our hearts out, but, loved the movie, the special affects, the wonderful use of imagination, but, above all the beauty of friendship.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 4:55:00 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

I just happened to come upon your blog and I couldn't agree with you more!! The trailer is so very misleading. Even before seeing the movie I used the trailer to give a presentation on exactly what you just said: The movie is for older children. I saw the movie opening weekend and it was phenomenal. There were some very young children in the theater and I cringed for them and their parents.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter