Friday, July 20, 2007

It's possible I have lost my mind...

In about 24 hours, our Japanese exchange student arrives.

Yes, this is a new development. A very new development.

Before you think I have lost my wits COMPLETELY, let me say that she is only staying for 3 weeks. So, this isn't an ENTIRE YEAR type of exchange student. (Although my family did host year long exchange students when I was in high school, and again after I graduated from college.) But, THIS particular Japanese student is coming to stay in our town for a 3 week International Youth Academy, so, it's not like it's a HUGE commitment.

I'm nervous about how Lana is going to deal with this, but, there were 35 kids who didn't have homes to stay in, and Husband and I speak some Japanese (well, okay, I speak some Japanese, and Husband used to be able to count and ask how much things cost.) But, anyway, she is arriving tomorrow. Her name is M~, and I've been stressing to Lana that we have a FRIEND coming to stay at our house. I keep using the name FRIEND over and over, because I don't want Lana to confuse M~ with being part of our family...

Cross your fingers for us. It's been almost 11 years since I NEEDED to be able to communicate in Japanese. I hope it comes back to me.

LM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm sure you know more Japanese than most Americans she will meet and she'll definitely appreciate that.

Friday, July 20, 2007 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Oh, it'll be like riding a bike...I hope!

3 weeks sounds great, I hope it is a good experience for you!

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Sounds great and if I had an extra bedroom like something I would talk my family into.

Perhaps this will help Lana some with being around people of Asian descent...just being one person and on her turf?

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

your so cool. "Oh, I have an exchange stduent coming, oh I speak a little Japanese." Geez! Your just a box of suprises!

Have fun. I've talked to my husband about an exchange student when the kids get older. I love the idea. But, they'll have to know English second language, because other than some Spanish phrases and a couple Vietnamese words I strickly speak English.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter