Thursday, June 28, 2007

Congrats and Détente

Because she is a very private person, and because I promised not to discuss her specific achievement in a public forum, I send vague and ambiguous tidings of congratulations to my real life friend Perpetual Student.

In honor of your triumph, A~, I’ll just say I’m listening to the Barenaked Ladies this morning, my favorite Canadian band.

Perpetual Student has a photoblog that is both quirky and fabulous, so, go check it out if you are so inclined.

______________________

So, Lana and I have been at something of an impasse the last several days. Perhaps impasse is the wrong word. My handy thesaurus is suggesting the words, “stalemate” and “stand-off” and those don’t seem quite right either…

What do you call it when a person doesen’t want you to come within ten feet of them, and, you have several days of knock-down fit-throwing from both parties and then you spend a day avoiding each other?

Cause, basically, that’s what we had in our household for a few days.

I will admit that yesterday was somewhat better than the days the preceded it. I didn’t see her in the morning, as she was still sleeping when I left for work. I picked her up from pre-school about 5:00 and she was happy to see me. Her teacher had tried a new hairstyle on her, with her hair pulled back on either side of her head, and I told her how pretty she looked. (She is a pretty child, so, honestly, unless she is screaming her head off or covered with snot, it is never a far stretch to tell her she is looking very pretty. She also likes to be told that she is pretty, so, possibly I should remember to use this more often. Perhaps all the male members of my household should make a note of this as well – all female members of said household like to be told they are looking fabulous. Preferably, you know, in a fake accent, a la Billy Crystal on SNL.)

Anyway, she seemed happy to see me and told me about her day (I understood about 1 word out of every 10, but, that’s okay. I don’t really NEED a play by play of the daily drama of the Gecko Room.

When we got home, we picked up Husband and Gabriel and went out to dinner, and both Lana and Gabe were reasonably well behaved. After dinner, we were all tired, lounged around watching television until bedtime. There were no fits and only minor squabbling between Lana and Gabe, which is preferable to nuclear meltdown any day.

She wanted to snuggle with me before bed, while I sang a song – the first night since she’s been back from my sister-in-law’s since she let me cuddle her at bedtime.

She slept well and Husband reports she is in a good mood this morning. So, I’m hoping for a thaw in this little cold war.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are taking a turn for the better. A little flattery goes a long way :-)

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when A~ was about 2 Hubby and I went away for about 4 days and when we got back he would look at me or let me hold him for a little bit, probably an hour or something. I know it's small in compairison but he is my bio kid and still that was his reaction - I think it's their way of showing us how ticked they are we left without their permission. Glad Lana is warming back up to you though!! :-)

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:57:00 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

oh my.

If you would like to join in the June Adoption Blogpost Round-up (and I am hoping that you do), our theme this month is Attachment. For more information and to find Mr. Linky, please visit the Adoption BlogPost Round-up post at :: Adventures In Daily Living :: .

Best,

Suzanne

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:28:00 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Procrastinator said...

Thank you kindly for your vague and ambiguous tidings for my non-cited achievement! I hope to have many more celebratory occasions, especially in my unspecified career. :p

Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter