Saturday, July 21, 2007

Once more, to the ER

My cell phone rang at 4:04 PM yesterday as I was sitting at my desk going through a file. The distinctive ring tone told me it was Husband calling, but, since he calls several times a day, I didn't think much of it.

"Hey hon," I answered, trying to decide how much to bill my client for the headache that they had caused me that afternoon. "What's up?"

Husband's voice was tense. "What are you doing right now?" he asked.

"Um...nothing too important. Why?"

"Lana just split her forehead open. The school just called. She probably needs stitches."

"I'm on my way." I hung up the phone, grabbed my purse and keys, and ran to my car. (At work, I am 10 minutes away from Lana's pre-school. Husband was at home with Gabriel, which, in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic is at least 25 minutes from the school.)

Lana had indeed gashed her forehead in a scooter accident, and the blood was impressive. Once the bleeding subsided some, she had a star shaped hole over her left eye. The closest ER is the ER where my sister-in-law, L~, is a nurse, and I hoped hoped hoped that she was on duty.

She wasn't, of course.

But, this ER experience was infinitely better than our LAST ER experience. For example, no one questioned whether or not I was actually Lana's mother. And the nurse who took care of us knew my sister-in-law, and was very nice to us. (I'm sure he would have been nice to us even if he hadn't known my sister-in-law.)

The doctor was very kind, and numbed Lana's head with something blue called "Zap" (the doctor may have been making up the name of the numbing cream), and then he put Lana's forehead back together, and remarked on how adorable she was.

He then listened to Lana's heart (at my request) and commented that he was concerned about her heart murmur. (You may recall the drama we had surrounding her heart murmur in Hanoi back in January.) This heart murmur has been a mild concern to our family doctor, however, he has only been able to hear it twice. (Is it possible for a heart murmur to come and go??)

At any rate, we are calling to set up an echocardiogram on Monday, "just to be safe" (according to the ER doctor.)

All in all, not a great way to spend a Friday night, but, significantly less awful than the drama we had in the ER last time.

LM

PS ~ M~, our exchange student has arrived and is doing well

3 Comments:

Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

I hope Lana heals well. My friend's little girl split her head above her eye a couple weeks ago. She was running through a book store and ran into the corner of a bookshelf. The DR told her to put a lot of sunscreen on the injury once the stiches came out so it wouldn't scar. I hadn't heard that one before, but I thought I'd pass it on to you.

I hope they diagnose Lana's heart issue properly while she's young. I have mitro-valve prolapse (very common) and tried to explain what I felt when I was little but no one ever diagnosed it. When I was in my twenties, I went to the dentist. Two days later I thought I was dying of a heart attack. Then, finally it was diagnosed. So, yay, for the ER dr to try and get it up front while she's small.

I'm glad your exchange student arrived. Poor thing...the first day she's there a kid in her new temp home splits their head open. What a welcome!!!

Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:14:00 AM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Glad to hear Lana's okay and maybe it is fate that this happened so the ER doc could give you the heads up on the heart murmur. Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about but better to know and be able to handle it if it is.

Quinton recently split his farhead open too. We are fortunate enough to have an Atlantic Care unit near us and they take you right in. He was home in an hour. SO MUCH better than the dreaded emergency room!

Can't wait to hear more about the exchange student! :-)

~Michelle

Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that would scare me. I'm glad she's okay and your ER experience was better this time.
take care!!

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter