Thursday, January 24, 2008

Is it ironic?

Does anyone else think it is a little bit ironic that a lawyer (uh, me) should be laid up with whiplash because she was rear-ended by an uninsured driver while sitting in stopped traffic IN FRONT OF THE COURTHOUSE??

I mean, a rear end collision and whiplash and a lawyer....could there be three more stereo-typical elements to a story??? I am SOOOO unimaginative with my misadventures.

So, this afternoon, I was innocently having a fine lunch of arayis halabi at a little Lebanese place by the courthouse with my Girlfriend S~. It was freezing outside, so, after we ate, I asked S~ to give me a ride back to my building, as she had driven to restaurant and I had walked, and she had managed to score a primo parking spot directly in front of the restaurant. (Practically unheard of good fortune.)

As we drove by the courthouse, the car in front of us stopped to let a passenger out - this happens all the time as there is very little convenient parking by the courthouse. Anyway, the point is we were coming to a stop because the car in front of us was stopped.

I don't remember what happened next. S~ says I was leaning forward and looking down into my purse when the car behind us smashed into us. I think I hit my head on the dash, although I don't know. (And I shouldn't have hit my head on the dash, because I was buckled in.)

The next thing I remember was asking S~ what happened. She said, "call 911 and tell them we were hit and that you hit your head."

So, I called 911 and told them we had been hit from behind, that it was not a bad accident but I had hit my head. And the 911-lady said someone would be there in a minute. In the meantime, the guy who hit us DROVE AWAY.

S~, who was clearly thinking more clearly than I was, started saying the guy's license plate over and over. And I remembered that I had the cell number for a divorce client who is also a sergeant in the sheriff's department in my cell phone memory.

I called my client, who was on duty, and I told him I was in front of the courthouse and that I had been rear-ended and that I hit my head and would he write this number down before I forgot it. And I gave him the license number that S~ was repeating.

So, my client says, "are you okay?" and I said, "my head hurts" and I think I hung up the phone.

And two minutes later, there were two fire trucks, a police car, an ambulance and a sheriff's deputy around our car, and they strapped me to a board and put me in the ambulance because I was "confused and complaining of head and neck pain." (And I also I told them I was 2 years younger than I actually am, and I wasn't intending to lie about my age.)

Five minutes later the sheriff's department picked up the guy who had left the scene of the accident. (To which I say, if you save a sheriff's department sergeant's pension from their ex-wife, you can, at a minimum, anticipate that they will come through for you if you are rear-ended in their jurisdiction.)

So, I spent six hours at the hospital, being x-rayed and CT scanned and, except for some confusion and nausea and aches and pains, I guess I am going to be okay. Mild concussion and whiplash...I have strict instructions to stay in bed for 2 days.

So, I'm typing on my back...which is quite a talent...

LM

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

Oh man, I'm glad you're ok! Also glad they caught the jerk.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm sorry that you were in an accident and injured, but this all made me laugh anyway. And it just kinda made me want to say "Rock on!" I mean, you saved the police guy's pension, so he's way on your side, you're a lawyer which has to be making Mr. Uninsured wetting his pants about now, they caught him after he fled the scene because the two of you got the license number AND you gave it to the police guy who is way on your side. I mean, if you HAVE to be rear-ended and hurt (and thank goodness it isn't any worse than it is) but if you have to be rear-ended and hurt, how much better could your circumstances be? Well, I guess a slow news day and some journalist on your side to slap the guy's picture all over creation would be nice, too; but that's just my vindictive side coming out. Hope you feel better soon!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

Oh honey! I'm so glad that you're ok! Put your feet up and enjoy the time off. Let your body mend!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, thanks for the good laugh, you really know how to tell a story! And second, I'm so glad you are okay and that they caught the hit and run idiot - ha, little did he know who he was dealing with! :-)

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:34:00 AM  
Blogger Space Mom said...

I am not sure it is irony, but it is bad luck!

I hope you are feeling better soon. You even with a seatbelt, you have to jerk forward before you get the tension to work on the seatbelt, so please be careful and go slow!!!!!

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger mam said...

Wow, I'm glad it's not worse than it is! I need to write you an email, becuase I need TV advice. Talk to you soon, and enjoy the days "off" if you can.

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Well at least you got to start your weekend early?

Speaking of ironic, I always thought it was odd that there were so many banana peels all over the parking lot at my law school. It was like a torts exam question just waiting to happen.

And take that whiplash stuff seriously. I'm pretty sure that part of my current arm issues are somewhat related to an old car accident neck injury. And the SofL was up on that case LONG ago. :( So, totally put the screws to that guy is what I'm saying.

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serious? That's awful!!!!!! I can not believe the dude drove away! Really? After hitting an attorney (not that he knew that) in front of the courthouse? That is even more ironic. Ugh. I hope you feel better soon. That's scary!

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, he rear ended the wrong person! I'm glad you are OK.

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

glad you're alright-ish! so, are you going to change your blog name to mis-adventures of law mommy? seriously, take the instructions to stay in bed to heart. even a small head injury can be serious. but, i'm glad you feel well enough to blog about it. i don't comment much but i do check in!

Melissa

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter