Monday, March 17, 2008

Strange Perspective

So...............

Remember a few weeks ago when I hit some ice and spun out and slammed my car into my neighbor's car and did $4500 of damage to the front end of my Pontiac?

Well, I was cited for a minor traffic misdemeanor, technically, "failure to control". It's not an offense that requires going to court (I could just pay the fine and let it go), except that, I might as well. I mean, if I have to be there anyway, I might as well try to bargain it down to something that won't put 2 points on my license. (In my state, if you accumulate 12 points in any three year period, you lose your license. This is the only time I've ever gotten any traffic citation, so, I'm not really worried about an accumulation of points. It's just the principle of the thing - it was icy, snowy, and there were a gazillion other accidents that day.)

One of my friends who is a criminal defense attorney is representing me. (Which is kind of ridiculous, since he usually works on big time crime - rapes, murders, drug deals, etc.) But, he offered to go and defend me, and took him up on the offer.

It's just a strange perspective, to be going to court as the defendant.

LM

4 Comments:

Blogger mam said...

I bet it is...but you know the old "represents herself/fool for a client" adage. When's your date? Good luck!

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger KG said...

Good luck!

I know a guy who went to traffic court because he got a parking ticket . . his reasoning? Most streets in our area say either "No Parking" or "No Parking or Standing." He was standing, not parking, and the street in question just had a sign that said "No Parking."

He won! ANd yes, he was a lawyer. *sigh*

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When a guy swerved in front of me, and I hit my breaks, then hydroplaned and rear-ended a mailman parked in the road delivering mail (which is why the man in front of me swerved) I was sighted for following to closely. I went to fight it. I hydroplaned. The mailman was parked. I asked the judge if a tree had fallen in the road and the man in front of me swerved to miss it and I'd hit the tree, would I have been sighted. The judge said no because it was a tree in the road. But, I'd hit a parked vehicle, the postman. I still had to pay. My argument got me nowhere. Oh, well, it was worth a try I guess.

Good luck!!!

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Space Mom said...

I had a woman stop short at a yellow light in the rain. I hydroplaned right into her. I was given a "failure to stop" ticket. I fought it and won. The fire fighter at the scene told me to fight it because the state has to assign a fault....

IT took 2 years, but I won.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter