Friday, April 18, 2008

What Not To Do In A Jacuzzi Tub

This is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever done as a parent.

Gabe and Lana were both taking a bath in the jacuzzi tub in Husband and my bathroom.

The like to use the jacuzzi tub because it is larger and deeper than the tub in their bathroom.

I went to pull Lana out of the tub and I noticed that I wasn't feeling like her hair was rinsed very well, but, I was tired and not feeling great and I contemplated letting it go. (Yes, bad bad mommy.)

But, when I got her fully out of the tub, I saw it was still FULL of bubbles in the back, so, I said, "Lana, just jump back in for two seconds and stick your head under the water and shake it around." (Yes, I was being lazy. I am a horrible person.)

Unfortunately, I had pulled up the plug and the water was draining.

We live in a new house (four years old) and the drains and the plumbing still work very efficiently.

So, when Lana jumped into the tub and laid down to rinse her hair....

THE DRAIN SUCKED HER LONG HAIR DOWN THE DRAIN AND PULLED LANA'S HEAD TO THE FLOOR OF THE TUB.

Now, fortunately, the tub was draining very quickly, and I grabbed Lana's head to keep it above the water as it was draining, but, SHE WAS STUCK. Her hair was being pulled down the drain by the water rushing out of the drain, and then it got tangled in the plug mechanism, and I was screaming for Gabe to go get Husband from downstairs, and Lana was just screaming (because she was terrified and because it hurt!)

Husband came running upstairs and jumped in the tub fully clothed and began pulling Lana's hair out of the drain strand by strand while I held her head and pulled it forward.

It was NOT a fun time.

And believe me, her hair was a MESS of tangles when we finally got it out of the drain. (And, a mess, in general.)

After another washing, and soothing of tears (Lana's and mine) - all of us were in our jammies and curled up in bed together in the guest room watching Tom and Jerry. Gabriel turned to Lana and said, with a very very serious look on his face,

"Lana. That was really scary when you're hair went down the drain."

And Lana said, "It was Gabe. It was."

Truer words have not been spoken.

Moral of the story - DO NOT LET your long haired daughter lay down in the tub to rinse her hair if the drain is open.

LM

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMg I never in a million years would have even considered that something like that would happen. That is SO SCARY!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!!! Thanks for the warning!

Friday, April 18, 2008 1:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kim Mears said...

Don't be hard on yourself, really. Who would have thought?

Friday, April 18, 2008 2:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that would have scared the frap out of me. I would not imagine a drain could drain with so much suction... I'm so glad it ended well and she didn't lose any hair or anything.

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I have tears in my eyes just reading and envisioning that - I would never have anticipated that either. Thank goodness you're all ok.

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:26:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

Damn that efficient plumbing! The first good argument I've ever seen in favor of clogged pipes. I'm so sorry; that sounds terrifying.

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh HOW AWFUL!

We had a hot tub growing up and someone swam under the water and her hair got caught in the water return that fed the jets....I've never seen my dad run so fast for scissors in my life!

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

I'm so glad Lana is alright. How horrible! I've never been glad for my 100 year old wimpy plumbing before.

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:54:00 PM  
Blogger Monique said...

You truly are a great story teller. I am not great with words and it takes a while to get my creative juices going...not natural at all. I've been interested in Lana's adoption story since I was adopted from Vietnam as a toddler myself. My daughter is the second generation of adoptees and my son is our first born.

Monique
http://vietnamfullcircle.blogspot.com/

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

That is so scary and I am so glad that everyone is okay. I would have never thought that would happen.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's really, really scary. I've heard of hair getting stuck in pool drains, but would not have ever guessed it could happen in a bathtub. It makes sense, but it sure woudln't have occurred to me. I'm so glad Lana is okay. You know, as I was reading, I was afraid to get to the part where you had to cut her hair. Thank goodness her hair is okay, too.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 7:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, how scary! I have never thought about the possibility of getting hair stuck in a bathtub drain. Who would have thought??? So glad things turned out alright.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That is so scary, I would have never thought of that happening in a million years.

I am glad she in okay.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless her heart! I'm glad she is ok. I could just picture all of ya'll in that tub!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm hearing Mr. Rogers singing his song about how you can never go down the drain and thinking maybe it needs a good re-write. That would have sent me into a panic!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter