Friday, May 23, 2008

And It's Poetry in Motion

As I was picking up our standard Friday night sushi-takeout order (because evidently I have an addiction to California rolls that must be fed at least once a week), Husband called to say that he and Gabe had lucked into a pair of tickets to this evening's baseball game. Lana was with me in the car when he called, and heard me say, "oh, that's fine, Lana and I will just have a 'girl's night in'."

When we arrived home, my girlfriend H~ called to ask how we were getting along with a problem we had been having with our pool filter*, Lana clamored to talk to her. (Lana loves H~ unabashadly, and loves talking on the phone.) "We havin' a girl's night!" she exclaimed. "We gonna paint our toes, and watch a movie and take a bath!"

She chattered some more on the phone, and when she hung up, she started up the stairs, swinging her hips and singing "girls night, we havin' girls night" to herself. Shortly thereafter, we heard her door shut and CD player start up, loudly, blasting The Indigo Girls. Because, evidently, Closer to Fine is the appropriate soundtrack for Girls Night In.

So, the boys went to the ballgame, and Lana and I painted our toes and took a bath and watched Tom & Jerry, and also went out for ice-cream, and I cannot imagine a more perfect 'girls night in' for Lana and I.

Sometimes Lana takes my breath away with the sheer joy she finds in the simplest pleasures. She was bubbling over with happiness this evening. It was contagious.

LM

*(H~ works human resources for a large pool and spa company, she was my go-to person when my filter wouldn't work yesterday. Specifically, it was blowing, but, not sucking, and with pool filters (as with so many other things in life), when there is blowing without sucking, nothing good can come of it.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Awake said...

Hi - I recently found your blog and thought I'd come out of lurkdom. This post is super cute and your daughter sounds adorable. I can't wait to paint my daughter's toes (of course she would have to stop moving). :)

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Terynn said...

Again---I really love your daughter. She is precious and priceless and funny and smart and transparent and I am so glad she has a mom and dad and brother who love her best.

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can literally feel her joy in this story! LOVE it! And Omg, very very funny about the pool filter. You are not having a good run of things - first the tub that tried to swallow your child now your pool filter that is sexually confused! bwahaha

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger KG said...

I could make a LOT of hilarious pool filter jokes right now but I'm going to issue self-restraint.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Anne K. said...

Hooray for girls' night in! What a sweet picture you've painted...!

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't too impressed with the Woodland Zoo. The Penquins are on loan to other Zoos ... several of the Elephants are quaranteened due to colic and the rest of the animals were old and tired and not interested performing.

The Seattle Asian Art Museum is a nice venue for adults and children (www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/visitsaam.asp). We like to go to China Town ... the Wing Luke Asian Museaum is down there. Kubota Garden is a nice place to think and ponder. It's 25 acres of peace and tranquility!

Seattle Bug Safari is fun (www.seattlebugsafari.com).

Check out this site ... it's a pass that gets you into a lot of different things for reduced costs. I've never used it but it sounds interesting for folks on vacation: http://www.goseattlecard.com/seattle-attractions.html

There's a Seattle Underground Tour that's pretty cool.

You can get a

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Lana, Closer to Fine IS the most appropriate song for girls night.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

bwahaha--thank you for the laugh! and I love Lana's taste in music!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter