Monday, May 12, 2008

Why Do The Babies Starve, When There's Enough Food To Feed The World?*

The aftermath of the cyclone has me really, really angry.

I don't think "angry" is a big enough word to describe what I'm feeling about this situation.

I just went to thesaurus.com for a better word. It suggests: furious, wrathful, ireful, rabid, and fierce.

Maybe I should say I am full of a furious, rabid ire about this situation? Do you think that would more adequately sum up what we should all be feeling?

This junta, composed of the ignorant, the wicked, the greedy, and the phenomenally short-sighted, are going to be responsible for the deaths of a million people. (In addition to having oppressed the Burmese people in unspeakable ways politically and culturally for the last 19 years, but, let's not even start on that conversation).

These these reprobates, these vicious wretched assholes, are going to let people starve and dehydrate to death, or fall to disease, because they don't want to allow in enough aid to help their own people.

I just want to strangle them.

LM

*Tracy Chapman, Why?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought there is enough money in this world that no one would have to live in the conditions that some do. The same with food. It is frustrating and you are right, angry isn't a good enough word for what that government is doing to its own people.

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Yeah, I can't really read it or keep up with it because it makes me sick. I did read something that said, this is the best scenario for the Junta, genocide without the actually physically shooting the people. It is disgusting. And we watch as it happens.

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:51:00 PM  
Blogger Anne K. said...

Between this scenario and the devastation in China this week, the tragedies are almost beyond belief. Makes you just want to hold your loved ones tight. I have a feeling we're all doing just that about now. Thanks for a post that speaks for many.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. I've been sick since I began reading about the manner in which the junta is denying the people supplies that are readily available. You're right - angry doesn't even cover it.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter